Wood Coloration in Hard Maple

Woodworking_Hobby

I have a question about finishing some boards and tips for the future. The photos below show some hard maple that I am using for the bottom shelf of my bench. It is not important for this build, but the outside boards have a light red color as compared to some of the other boards. The finish I am using is just an oil varnish (Tried and True Varnish Oil). To be honest I cannot remember what these boards looked like before I started and if there were some clues to this red color. It does not matter for this project, but I can see on some projects you might not want these different colors next to each other in a panel or adjacent parts. Is there something to keep an eye out for as you layout parts that might hint to the color of the boards as you finish them or stain them after the build?  I assume this might also change based on the wood type you are using for the project. Thanks for any thoughts or tips. 

B0A07F97-D9BF-4036-83F4-88A8C41946F8.jpeg

FC560213-18B8-4670-9D5A-C94A6CA2413C.jpeg

02044DC0-7FEA-4F9A-BD9C-C4C87A534C62.jpeg

• Like 1

I would guess that the odd boards are from a different variety of maple. At the very least, from a different tree, as growing conditions from one tree to another often lead to color variance. That is why makers of fune furniture often purchase direct from the sawyer, to ensure the stock used for a project all cimes from the same  tree.

Such minor color variance can be almost impossible to see in the rough, so following the 'chain of custody' is your best bet. To ensure your stock is the same species, at least, you can refer member @phindsweb site for detailed images and descriptions.

Hobbithouseinc.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought 150 BF of all sap Hard Maple direct from a company that handles everything from felling to selling. I've noticed that variation in color in hard maple. I have a feeling it's a combination of different trees growing in slightly different conditions. It could be the time of year the tree is cut down. It could even be where the board is located in the trunk of the tree.

This happens in all species. It's even more prominent in species like Walnut or Cherry where their color can vary drastically board to board within the same tree even. Some of the trees that I've milled have had different color from one side of the log to the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the insight!  I know this can cause issues when building a project but the “mysterious” properties of wood is part of what draws me to woodworking. One of my favorite parts is taking a rough cut board and milling it down to find the surprises hiding inside and how I can make them work with the overall project. 

• Like 2