Need advice for HVLP for lacquer

Valleyslim

I'm doing a lot of research on HVLP sprayers for lacquer finish for spraying furniture. My budget is 500-600$. There seems to a split opinion on gravity vs siphon. This will be for spraying lacquer only. I have a graco 5 for paint. I'm having a hard decision of going with a fuji semi pro or buying an air compressor with a decent spray gun (like a husky or tcp gun). My real only concern with the fuji is it seems pretty loud and is constantly on whether im spraying or not. So my question is do you prefer gravity or siphon for lacquer and if the turbine setups are really better as some people claim vs the air compressor setup. I'm probably over thinking this as it seems lacquer is pretty easy to spray and is somewhat forgiving. FWIW the cabinet shop i work at uses graco 5 to spray lacquer for their finishes but i'm honestly not a fan of the graco 5 for lacquer. I like it for paint though

Turbine setups don't require oil and water separators that air compressors do. Keep that in mind when your considering that route. Also I personally think the spray guns for Fuji and Earlex are better than the compressor conversion guns but that's subjective. In your budget I think it's harder to find a comparable compressor setup vs a turbine which is why turbines are popular. As far as turbines being good, they take air and atomize it to apply finish to a surface. It's the same principal as a conversion gun but is in a self contained unit. Quality is going to come down the the gun used, and how well the needle and cap set are manufactured.

I have a Fuji MM4 and use it a lot to spray water finishes and it's great. the settings on the gun are easy to use and the gun is comfortable. I have a gravity gun because there is slightly less to clean on them. I honestly don't remember the pros and cons for both but when i decided i went with gravity. It's about as loud as a vacuum cleaner. I don't use hearing protection when I spray and I use hearing protection when i run a drill driver.

I strongly recommend that you do some research into LVLP spray guns. For spraying furniture, I think they have some advantages; particularly for the hobbyist or non professional:

They can be run on small low volume home compressors of about 4 cfm and up.

They put out less material so you can work more slowly and calmly.

They have small soft spray patterns so there is less over spray and less concern for runs and drips.

They look and feel  like HVLP conversion guns and, it seems, most on the web can't give you a good distinction between them, but this site does a pretty good job and is a good place to start:

https://www.besthvlpspraygun.com/comparison/lvlp-vs-hvlp/

I use an inexpensive SprayIt model sold by Home Depot, California Air, and maybe others. It is a side feed swivel cup model that allows spraying in any position.  https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/ sells some more expensive units. This site also has some information explaining the differences.

So far, I have used mine mainly for WB poly and shellac and it does a beautiful job. It should do just as well with lacquer.

• Like 1