How to fix this over sanded table

Hey guys, I purchased this table from someone on offerup for a low price and wanted to repair it myself. I don’t know much about sanding or fixing wood and wanted to bring my question here to see if I could get some help before I make the damage even worse. The table used to be brown but she tried sanding it and used white chalk paint over it. Several areas look over sanded and uneven. Idk what the heck she did to get it this bad. I’ve been researching on how to properly sand, but are there any “must have” tools I will need to get this right? I have attached pictures. https://imgbb.com/https://ibb.co/album/5XkTkV

Hi, Candice - assuming the wood on the top is solid wood, you could take a long piece of wood, say a foot long or longer, and glue some 100 grit sandpaper. Going with the grain, sand the top untill it is even and flat using long smooth strokes. Shirt strokes will dig divots in the surface. Don't send across the grain - that will make scratches that will be extremely difficult to remove. 

When the top is flat, switch to 120 grit paper and sand to remove the 100 grit scratches. Repeat with 150, 180 and 220 grit. You can skip the 120 and 180 if you want, but it will be faster if you don't. 

After the 220 grit, you should be ready to finish. 

If the top is veneered, you will sand through it quickly. You can re-veneer it rather easily. Check YouTube for ways to do it. Our host, the Wood Whisperer, has videos that will cover it. Let us know how it comes out.

I agree with above except if it is veneer start over. It is a learned process for veneer work. and special tools. If it is solid get a straight edge and slowly sand away the high spots with coarse grit. on a belt 60 or 80 grit.  on an orbital sander 60 g. When you feel it is evened out then start with a full sanding with each grit going up on the grit slowly. If there are deep low spots all you can do is fill it. If it is a low grade lumber it is not worth salvage and labor. Start over.