Fixing a Hock kit krenov plane

BonPacific

Years ago I was given one of those build-your-own krenov-style plane kits that Hock makes. It was a fun project, and I got a bunch of use out of the little handplane. Problem was, after a few months it just stopped holding a setting. It'd work for 5-10 passes and then either stop taking shavings or suddenly dig into the workpiece. I sharpened the blade, finessed the mouth, roughed up the bed, etc. Eventually I just gave up, figuring I'd screwed something up when I make it, and shoved it into a drawer until recently.

I needed to chamfer the feet on the bench I'm making, and my 102 just wasn't doing what I wanted. So I pulled out that little wooden plane and decided to give it another look. Playing with it, I realized the cross pin was flexing when I set the wedge, far more than it should have been. So, on a hunch, I grabbed a bit of 1/4” hardwood dowel stock, replaced the old pin, and wouldn't you know it the little handplane started taking shavings like a dream, and kept it's set.

PXL_20220622_031155436.thumb.jpg.00cb3d38e8ca967aff295efaecf1000d.jpg

This fix might not last, but it's easy enough to take 2 minutes to replace the dowel every few months.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 8:32 PM, BonPacific said:

So, on a hunch, I grabbed a bit of 1/4” hardwood dowel stock, replaced the old pin, and wouldn't you know it the little handplane started taking shavings like a dream, and kept it's set.

Sometimes it really helps to walk away from a problem for a while.

• Like 2