Exterior polyurethane

curlyoak

This is supposed to be good stuff, recommended by someone I trust who is an expert on finishing.  He did entry doors with this, and says it's held up better than anything so far.  If spraying.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-em9300-wb-exterior-polycarbonate-urethane/

For more traditional marine varnishes, look at Totalboat products.  I used their Lust varnish brushed on entry doors, and although it's just short term so far, I'm very pleased with it for a brushed on finish.  Multiple coats in one day.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, Tom King said:

Did you see the thread about when I did those doors?  I highly recommend that brush, and cleaning method.  The 2-1/2" brush will barely fit into the quart can.

I did not see the thread. Please furnish a link...Thanks

I got a can of Lust....What did I just type? The quart can had a lot of fine print that was hard to read. I called tech support at Total Boat to get a pdf on the fine printed can. They were more than helpful. The thinner was recommended to add on the first coat. I asked If they could take an order for the thinner but was referred to the online store because that was free shipping. I appreciate the inside info. customer support was excellent.

Tom, how much varnish did you use? And do you recall the temperature at the time and did you use any thinner in the first coat...Thanks

I used a quart, but could have used a little more.  I did not thin the first coat because I didn't sand the old varnish all the way off, so it wasn't going to soak in anyway.  I would have put another coat on if I'd had another quart.  I figure I'll just recoat them again in a few years.

• Like 1

Do you recall the temperature?  I have had issues with varnish setting up too fast due to temperature. But that was a large tabletop. I am building 2 cabinets 3' x 2.5' and the face is the varnish. So smaller pieces to varnish means setting too fast is unlikely.  Wall to wall installation. There are doors and drawers. I'm guessing a quart will do it. I checked out the link on the varnish brush. Amazon will have it here soon. Acetone is on my list. Do you soak the brush in the mineral spirits?

I don't remember exactly, but middle of March, I'm sure it wasn't really hot.  Even then, the Lust was set up enough for the next coat in a little less than an hour, so I'd be afraid to push it in real heat.  It may need some thinning for more heat, but I'd talk to the experts at Jamestown Distributors to be sure.  I only have that one experience with it.

I've been dealing with Jamestown Distributors since the mid '80's, and am pretty loyal to them as a supplier.

Sounds like a quart will be plenty.

I don't worry about submerging the brush in Mineral Spirits, but don't want Acetone getting up under the ferrule.  Mineral Spirits alone will clean a brush, but I have to change it several times.  Acetone shortens the process, and only requires one rinse in Mineral Spirits.  I didn't even change both between cleanings until the end, and then I changed the Acetone.  Even if the brush is a bit stiff years later when you pull it out to use it again, Acetone will free the bristles back up.

Marine varnish goes on thick.  You don't do any more brushing of it than the minimum.  Put it on, and let the edges overlap, but don't keep brushing it.

• Thanks 1