Drawing from a photo

Vic

I have a cradle to build and only have the photo. I found the designer and he no longer makes it and only drew the thing out on the floor. I know there was an article at one point in FWW on getting dimensions from a photo. Anyone remember where it was? I'm on a deadline, so I could use help!

Hey Vic,

I think the article you're talking about is "Scaling Furniture from Photos", by Miguel Gomez-Ibanez, in FWW #170.

I think SketchUp also has a related feature that might help do the same sort of thing. Don't know any more about it than that, though.

-- Russ

Hey Vic,

I think the article you're talking about is "Scaling Furniture from Photos", by Miguel Gomez-Ibanez, in FWW #170.

I think SketchUp also has a related feature that might help do the same sort of thing. Don't know any more about it than that, though.

Russ!!! You finally made it over!! Appreciated! I've got to start this tomorrow.

-- Russ

I have had success by using a graph design.

On the photo or drawing, I write graph lines from the top down and from side to side, at a measured distance, say 1 cm but depending on the size of the photo.

With the grid of 1 cm square lines on the photograph, I then draw the same grid on a piece of paper say at 2 cm squares if I want to enlarge by twice the size.

Then I draw on the enlarged graph copying the major outline of the subject.

My newly created drawing will be twice the size of that in the photograph. A triangular ruler is available at a drafting supply store that can give you various scale sizes along the edges. They are available in metric or imperial measure.

If you do not want to write on the photo, then make a photocopy of it and use that as your starting point.

Woodie