HD3D router table complete

BillyJack

I know that I will add a 3/4 bottom and what ever is left after the coupling hole I'll clip that section off making the hub as small as possible.

You can use a jigsaw.scroll saw or hole saw to make the hole. I suggest making it tight so assembly makes it easier when it comes time..

• Like 1

At this point you have a hub. You'll now need to make a top to fit the hub. You'll again need a 3 + or - hole to take the 3" coupler in the top piece. This hole is where router debris will be ejected from the machine to you Dust collector from the the top of the router table.... 

B4745A53-B658-4DF3-BEE7-7ED9FB35F201.jpeg

• Like 2

Here looking again at the hub. You will need to 3 bolts to secure the top/lid to the DC. You want this removable in case debris clogs the opening. This can easily hapen on a raised panel bit. Nothings perfect so you want to think ahead.

You want to put the new top we just made on top. Careful to position it were needed. Sometimes hot glue or tape could be used to hold the piece in place.

You can hand drill this or use a drill press to drill through #1 the top pice and #2 the hub....

You now want a drill bit the size required a hanger bolt. You want it long enough to secure it into the hub and yet long enough to stick above the upper top plate. Once drilled you can install the hanger bolts. There are many ways to is tall hanger bolts. I won't a dress this at this time.

With the hanger bolts installed. The tip plate with the DC port hole installed on top,and the hanger bolts penetrating through the top with enough threads showing you can now install the nuts. In my case I used black plastic brass thread nuts... 

30CBCE7C-E18C-4906-969F-808DA9F743EE.jpeg

EB67C9F0-005E-483D-8DE1-1B048F544991.jpeg

• Like 2

Here you can see I have installed a bottom. It has 3 places to mount. I don't recommend threaded inserts but rather bolt through the top. You can use threaded inserts but beware they have a tendency to raise the grain we installed stalled which could deform the top. So be careful.

You can see were on the second picture high lighted in hot pink.. 

D9CC21F8-1E0A-444B-ABEB-8720FB277A74.jpeg

E63856A3-64A3-4B20-8403-83C464FDC514.jpeg

• Like 1

So here we have a 1/4×1/4 piece that has been added on for a blast gate. Once you have decided the size you can make all the blast gates at one time. The blast gates are the same for the entire cabinet. You will need three pieces for each bladt gate. You will need 12 left/rights and 6 bottom pieces...Just remember to allow for paint.

Try not to get carried away with over doing the paint and making it too thick. They will have trouble sliding.

Remember sometimes less is more...Unless you have a heavy hand.. 

DF1B05B6-A31C-478D-B4F7-D6187E56EF9C.jpeg

EF8C4844-67CA-48E3-8D5D-23AA899DAF4C.jpeg

• Like 1

Here you can see I've added the front cover to the blast gate.I also used a threaded insert which a thumb screw. So there are two threaded inserts in parallel so I can raise the blast gate and hold it up so it doesn't block the DC hole.

I used 1/2 Baltic Birch for this. Wait....... did I hear applause for use of Baltic birch...

0A2249F2-91E3-4ED0-8EB7-441700CC0924.gif

• Like 1

They’re blocked to increase pull at the source. Theres enough pull as you close one gate to clear its path before another  is opened. I’ve never had a problem unless I had another gate at another tool open. My DC can only handle two open gates at a time correctly.  If I’m running raised panels I will sometimes close the bottom port to increase draw on the top to keep the cutter clean, especially with MDF…

• Thanks 1