HD3D router table complete

BillyJack

When in doubt, draw it out...

There's nothing better than a full size pattern. Patterns won't mean it's perfect once it's built, but it atleast give you a visual of the size and room it will take to have it in the shop.

At this point it is an awkward place and cannot give specific measurements. At some point maybe towards the end I'll try and give specifics to get a better understanding of size.

download - 2022-10-29T093734.683.jpeg

download - 2022-10-29T093728.349.jpeg

• Like 1

So with being a cabinet maker at the time I always cheat my dados by making them deeper than 1/4. A little deeper allows me to cheat if the angle depths arent correct but the cabinet its sliding in is wider or narrower than expected. Less or more is easily obtained without going back and recutting/refitting the exterior pieces.

download - 2022-10-29T104237.935.jpeg

• Like 1

Here we have the door cutouts. These were cut out with the table saw but I don't recommend this for the diy er. I'm old school and In the late 70's, early 80's all shops used a a tablesaw and did blind cuts. It was the norn back then. Today with the advantages of new routers and the great options routers have brought to the table I would recommend a plunge router, a router template guide and a 1/8 plunge bit or just make a face frame. Using the tablesaw saw means a blind cut and cleaning up the corners with a jigsaw. . Much more smoother and cleaner with the router.. 

9E8C3D7C-74D7-4640-83E4-EFD06B6EE4DF.jpeg

49B4A48B-8BB8-4C08-8565-3130CFC67A1E.jpeg

9F1EA4FE-24E6-4B0A-A61B-9F37A5334505.jpeg

2F7D1B83-BF62-4AD4-A01F-85746F7A8F72.jpeg

• Like 1

At some point you'll need to decide it you want this mobile. I did as I need to move things around when cleaning. Drilling these and working out the daily will save me some headaches later. The dado is placed 1.5 from the bottom . This will take the 3/4 bottom shelf and allow me to beef it up another 3/4 , as you can see in the photo..

download - 2022-10-31T133523.013.jpeg

• Like 1

When I cut angles and I want to close them up on the point. I'll add .5 so if I need 30, 22.5 or 45 degrees I'll make them 30.5, 23,45.5...

Its the same when cutting crown trim around the home. Ill add .5 or decrease by .5 depending if its a inside or outside corner

This makes for a nice point on two pieces once glued and dried..

download - 2022-10-31T161756.782.jpeg

• Like 1

Looking back at the pattern if everything is as the pattern suggest. We should be able to go forward. We only need to mske sure the router plate and router have room to be inserted and removed if necessary. For mine I used a Rousseau router plate and Dewalt 625 router..

When I mentioned making a router cabinet and needed many rousseau plates. Many woodworkers stepped up and shipped there unused Rouseau router plates they no longer needed for just the shipping cost. Many thanks to those who tried to help. Recycle to others who may have a need, when you no longer have a use...Again many thanks

download - 2022-11-01T155359.710.jpeg

download - 2022-11-01T155353.720.jpeg

download - 2022-11-01T155409.775.jpeg

• Like 1

Some of you may have notice with your xray vision or maybe not, but I did use a locking rabbit joint on the partitions. You could do this many ways. But if you do this way, you will need to do this before they are assembled on the exterior pieces...

Notice the red highlighted area in the photo..

download - 2022-11-02T103554.092.jpeg

• Like 1

At this point you will need to make partitions for the router cabinet. This is the inner foundation which will keep it 

#1...solid at all times,
#2...give each router it's own space 
#3...give it a flowing area for dust collection
#4...give the top plenty of support..

You will need 6 pieces, 3 lefts and 3 rights...you can get the sizes from the pattern as always...

When in doubt, pattern the sucker out.. 

7871107B-84F3-40E5-B9D4-E689399E1D95.jpeg

7B85FA67-553D-40BA-AE9A-5EE512AFD1AA.jpeg

• Like 1

They use both. Shapers for long term production and routers in cabinets for short term projects. If they have a job or builder that  specifies a special Ogee, etc and it can be purchased quickly, they will just throw it in the router cabinet for the one job. I think when I worked at Regency Cabinets they had 9 shapers. 5 dedicated to doors and the rest just for profiles..

When I built this it wa# suppose to get me running till I could get my hands on a weaver shapers. When I crashed there were 2.9 million houses for sale. Normally there is 2.1 million at that time. Numbers like this I didn’t pay attention to till the economy crashed. 

when the economy exceeds a need for cabinet, woodworkers or commercial shops, somebody is out of business…

• Like 1