Lapping Film?

Ronn W

Has anyone ever use these? I currently use a piece of leather on a board with honing compound for my carving gouges.  Problem is that the gouge sink into the leather a little and cuase the cut bevel just behind the cutting e dge to gradually increase the beve angle and eventaully I have to re-establish the flat bevel of the gouge.  I w onder if this product would allow hoing whilw maintaining the original straight bevel.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07TDMS1H8/ref=acr_dp_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

I have the diamond lapping film mounted on a granite surface plate that goes down to a tenth of a micron.  The only trouble with it is that it will get something so sharp that it will slice right down into the film.  For that reason, you have to be careful with it, and only pull back with the edge.  If you go forward, you Will slice it up, and that's even with a guide.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 6:28 AM, Tom King said:

have the diamond lapping film mounted on a granite surface plate that goes down to a tenth of a micron.  The only trouble with it is that it will get something so sharp that it will slice right down into the film.  For that reason, you have to be careful with it, and only pull back with the edge.  If you go forward, you Will slice it up, and that's even with a guide.

Tom, Do you think it would work well on gouges where  I am rolling/sliding the bevel back and forth along its curve.? I don't think I would need anything smaller than 1 micron.  Also, How long does it last? 

It cuts so fast and requires so few strokes that it lasts for a Long time.  The fine grits are only for getting something already sharp much sharper.  I'm sure it would work if you develop the correct directions to move the edge-never forward.  After sharpening through 13k on stones, if I want something deadly sharp, it's rubbed a couple of strokes on the .5 and .1 micron film. 

This only takes me a few minutes in total to take something from scraping paint off of bricks to deadly sharp because I have a dedicated sink set up for it.  For normal use on wood, much less time than a few minutes.  The sink has a 92" stainless top, and two faucets on it, with three granite surface plates on it.  Everything is sitting right there ready to go.  When we move into one of the really old houses I work on, the sink is the first thing to go in place.