where to buy tools - inexpensively

kurt11

Of course I want to buy a starrett square and just about every item from the lee valley catalog. Problem is I cannot afford it. On the other hand, every hand measuring tool (like tape measure, square, etc..) I ever bought from home depot was so poor in quality that I could not work with it. Question: Is there any brand or a mail order company who I can buy things from who are a step up from the junk home depot carries? thanks much for your advice.

Hey Kurt, don't right off the big box stores totally. If you can wade through the junk you can actual get some good deals. Home Depot carries Empire measuring tools, I have a two of the rulers an 18inch and a 6 inch both have proved accruate enough for me, and the combination square looks to be better quality than what they carried a few years ago when I bought mine. I am not saying that they a 100% but untill your willing to throw down the cash thats where I would start.

Hi Kurt,

I've found the Pinnacle/Woodpecker measuring tools at Woodcraft ( http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=&brand=Pinnacle&proddimproductgroup=Marking%20And%20Measuring or http://www.woodpeck.com ) are really quite good and reasonably priced.

Sometimes you can get some killer deals on clearance too and Woodcraft has specials like free shipping all the time.

Just a thought...

-Jim

Kurt,

You need to get to know Walt at Brass City Records. He lives up in Waterbury, CT right in the middle of Starrett country. He often has excellent deals on seconds as well as used items that are in fine shape and are greatly discounted from the new items. The seconds typically are just blemished their is nothing wrong with the scale or straightness. It looks like currently he has some 12" and 6" starrett rules. He shops the flea markets and local holes on the weekend and then posts his haul on Monday afternoon. He updates most weeks so check back often and you will find a combination square soon. I recently picked up a 9" starrett combination square from him and have a 12" combo square and numerous rules. They have all been square and straight and well worth the money.

Josh

In my opinion, there is no match to Starrett. I had a cheapo that a friend gave me that I used for quite awhile. I got a good sized gift card for Woodcraft and decided it was time to experience a little better quality. The look and feel, the smooth sliding, and the ease of the rule on the eyes are top notch. You will not have buyers regret. Guaranteed.

sometimes that stuff comes up in garage sales, flea markets(antique market), and other sources where someone is willing to sell thier tools. Ive gotten a lot of tools period that way no reason why you cant find a starret measuring tool at one if you have the time to wait for it.

Kurt,

You need to get to know Walt at Brass City Records. He lives up in Waterbury, CT right in the middle of Starrett country. He often has excellent deals on seconds as well as used items that are in fine shape and are greatly discounted from the new items. The seconds typically are just blemished their is nothing wrong with the scale or straightness. It looks like currently he has some 12" and 6" starrett rules. He shops the flea markets and local holes on the weekend and then posts his haul on Monday afternoon. He updates most weeks so check back often and you will find a combination square soon. I recently picked up a 9" starrett combination square from him and have a 12" combo square and numerous rules. They have all been square and straight and well worth the money.

Josh

I was wondering if you could post the web site for Brass City Records? The link you posted doesn't work and a search on the store title just leads to a music place.

Thanks

Nate