What is so different here?

Stampy

What makes this place so special?

Well, I've been thinking about that and wondering what it is that differs here from other forums that I have belonged to over the electronic years.

I keep coming back here and am pleasantly surprised at the ease with which we share our ideas and thoughts on our profession, hobby and life.

My impression is that there is a shared experience here that only comes from having a relationship with the craft itself. What I mean by this is that as woodworkers, regardless of skill level, we have a progressive and intimate relationship with external forces that eventually become a piece of work. For the professional the relationship may start with the commissioning of a piece. The craftsman meets his client and develops a relationship through communicating desires of form, function and the needs of the final piece. The craftsman describes his abilities to meet those needs and may offer advice and opinion on changes based on his knowledge and experience.

And a relationship is born.

The hobbyist may go through a similar experience with a family member or friend, however they my also have a more internal, emotional catalyst type of reaction to producing a piece for a loved one.

And a relationship is strengthened.

And now it's time to create the work. The craftsman will formulate a plan on how the final form and function will come to exist in it's final form. He will choose his material, draft several drawings and build the piece in his mind and on paper several times before the first cut is made.

And the craftsman forms a relationship with an his work.

And now the hands are put to work. The cuts are made the medium is molded and caressed into shapes and pieces of a puzzle that is stronger as a whole than as the individual pieces needed to create it. Pieces are made that may never be seen when the piece is done, but the same relationship is formed with them as are the most prominent details. Over time the piece will hold the craftsman close, never letting them walk away, always occupying a place in his thoughts even when not before him. The piece will put him to sleep and awaken him. It will live with him and make him come to terms that only the piece and he will understand.

And the craftsman deepens his conviction for his craft.

And now the piece is complete. The piece is delivered and the craftsman must leave it to be enjoyed and admired by it's new keeper. The piece will again go through changes in form and function. It will stand as a focal point and be admired for it's beauty and how it will interact with it's keepers. It will go through a process of use and develop a place in it's new home. New hands will work the piece, using it's functions and maintaining it's appearance. Mending it's scars of use and giving longevity and purpose.

As time goes by the piece occupies less time in the thoughts of the craftsman and that piece will be replaced with another. The craftsman will use his experience with the piece and it's new owners to formulate and develop the next project. Growing as a person as he moves from one relationship to another.

And a community of craftsman is born. One that shares there relationships with there craft, there medium and more importantly with themselves.

Hope you enjoyed my little shout out to you lads.

Thanks for having me

With much respect and admiration.

Stampy

aka Scott

Very well said that man!

I do it as a profession it's true. But I wouldn't if I did not love what I do. Knowledge and experience are only gained by usage and time. Once a certain amount of time and knowledge is assimilated by anyone in this craft, the division between an Artisan and an amateur becomes irrelevant. One's skill level will develop with practice and acquired experience. It may be that through necessity or simply because the professional has more hours per week in which to make the cock ups and subsequent knowledge gained from overcoming them that he may have the edge. There will always be some who are more skillful than others. Some may know more or, less about a certain element of our shared craft. This is usually down to the depth of commitment or study, or simply because they have been lucky enough to have been asked to design and make something not normally attempted.

Whilst I always leave knowledge to those who have it, I will help when and if I can. Which is undoubtedly the greatest asset this forum has to offer. The unstinting willingness of every member to help when they can, anyone who asks.

Long may it continue.

What I like about this woodworking internet forum:

• It does not have restrictive policies that are designed to keep traffic on this website.
  • It does not have usurious Terms of Service that allow it to reappropriate forum members posts or uploaded pictures for its own purposes.
  • It does not use .org as its top-level domain even though it is clearly part of a for-profit venture, since .org domains are intended to be used for not-for-profit organizations.

Marc,

Are you seeing this??? We have 'waxed philosophical'.....articulate purveyors of shavings and chips, led in eleoquent oratory by Sir Stampy!! Well written my friend.

I enjoy the site so much because there are some of you out there that flat know your stuff and then some like me who have tinkered at it for a long time. I read your posts and open alllll of your pictures and gain little nuggets from the way your shop is arranged or how your bench is built. I'm looking in the background as much as in the foreground. The thing I enjoy is how we all communicate around this subject of wood and tools yet we come from a variety of backgrounds, parts in the world, and levels in the journey.