Looking for turning profile templates for sale

Are there any woodworking supply companies that sell profile templates for turned pieces?  I've done small turnings without much problem and now I'm about to attempt larger projects.  I'm afraid if I don't have something to go by I'll just keep turning the thing further and further looking for 'the right' shape until I've gone too far and have nothing left.

Thanks

I am not aware of any such commercial offering.  You can make your own full size cross-sectional drawing and work from that by eye.  Or you can use the drawing to make a template from card stock or thin cardboard.   For a spindle turning you can also mark off the locations of the various high and low points along the turning.  Then use a parting tool to cut to the appropriate diameter at each location. Or combine the above.

There are so many books out on the design of woodturned pieces as well as so many great examples in the galleries online. Youtube has a few on design as well, Cindy Drozda did one recently you might find informative. If what you make is pleasing to the eye you have succeeded.

• Like 1