Dust Collector + Thein Separator

rmac

One of the posts on Paul-Marcel's blog got me thinking about setting up a Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector and a Thein separator. It seems that there are (at least) four ways to do this.

1. Add a normal, trash-can based Thein separator ahead of the dust collector in the obvious and straightforward way.

2. Install the Thein baffle on the output side of the blower, in the dust collector ring rather than in an external container, like this guy did.

3. Integrate the separator and dust collector like this guy did.

4. Same as #3, only run the output of the blower outside instead of into the filter/bag assembly.

Of course there are pros and cons to each of these configurations, but I like #4 the best. It has the smallest footprint, protects the DC impeller from shrapnel in the input stream, and blows any fine stuff not caught by the separator outside and away from your alveoli. Assuming a non-conditioned space and no gas appliances (see Vic, we're listening :)), it seems like the only issue is whether enough material would escape the separator to bother anybody when it's blown outside.

My experience with a shop vac and a Thein separator says no. The shop vac really does stay virtually empty through many fillings of the separator. On the other hand, I've heard Marc and others say that you can't get away with running the exhaust from your DC system outside in a dense neighborhood.

Can anybody else chime in with their experience on this, or with their opinions about the various ways to hook a separator up to a dust collector?

-- Russ

Russ,

I live on a 1/2 acre lot. My neighbor's house is +/- 50 feet from the back of my garage. While I haven't set up my dust collection to vent out that back wall yet, I am going to. I have a 6' wooden fence on the property line and a very thin row of grape vines growing about 3' off the house. While the dust may not be good for the grapes, after passing through the cyclone (or Thein) and elbowing it down once it gets outside, I don't see how it could bother my neighbor.

I may be naive on this and change my opinion after I do it, but it seems ok to me. The only caveat I can think of is that I know Homeowners Associations are wildly popular in many places (thankfully not in New York). It probably is a huge violation of the Association's rule if you were to vent outside, and I understand that they can be downright nasty to rule breakers if they want to be, so be careful if you belong to a Homeowner's Association.

If you do vent outside, please let us know how it goes.

Alan Z: Yes, that web page helps a lot. Since you've been using that setup for 18 months, can you say how many times you empty the trash can before you need to empty the DC bag and/or clean out the filter?

b33tl3: I'm confused by what you said. Alan's setup is the same as option #3. How is yours different?

-- Russ

Mac,

I rarely ever see any material in the plastic bag. The separator is very efficient. I haven't had to clean the bag filter yet... I might switch to a Wynn filter one of these days. I have a pleated filter on the DC in the other room of my shop.

I rarely ever see any material in the plastic bag. The separator is very efficient. I haven't had to clean the bag filter yet.

Good deal, Alan. Thanks. That matches what I've seen with my Thein + shop vac setup.

-- Russ

Assuming a non-conditioned space and no gas appliances (see Vic, we're listening :)), it seems like the only issue is whether enough material would escape the separator to bother anybody when it's blown outside.

My experience with a shop vac and a Thein separator says no. The shop vac really does stay virtually empty through many fillings of the separator. On the other hand, I've heard Marc and others say that you can't get away with running the exhaust from your DC system outside in a dense neighborhood.

Can anybody else chime in with their experience on this, or with their opinions about the various ways to hook a separator up to a dust collector?

-- Russ

LOL...I hope I don't come off as nagging. I'd definitely have a separator if I didn't have a cyclone system.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL...I hope I don't come off as nagging. I'd definitely have a separator if I didn't have a cyclone system.

I created my own version of a HF DC with a Thien Baffle that is a bit different than most designs I see, but it works great and is very compact. I also vent it right out of the side of my garage right into my neighbors yard. The baffle does such a good job at catching everything, I haven't even seen any sawdust outside except for the one time that it filled up to the top before I noticed it needed to be emptied.

Here's a link to my setup.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/35561

I created my own version of a HF DC with a Thien Baffle that is a bit different than most designs I see, but it works great and is very compact. I also vent it right out of the side of my garage right into my neighbors yard. The baffle does such a good job at catching everything, I haven't even seen any sawdust outside except for the one time that it filled up to the top before I noticed it needed to be emptied.

Here's a link to my setup.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/35561

How 'bout that ... I was the very first commenter when you uploaded that project to LumberJocks! It does indeed look like a simple, elegant way to go.

-- Russ

I created my own version of a HF DC with a Thien Baffle that is a bit different than most designs I see, but it works great and is very compact.

That looks great! The drum doesn't have any trouble holding up the blower? When it's time to empty the drum, you just lift up the blower / baffle and unhook the inlet hose, right?

I'm a big fan of venting directly outside, especially in the summer when I can pull in cool replacement air from under my porch. The porch has a roof and shade trees and it's on the north side of the house, so it should stay nice and cool. But in the winter I don't want to blow hot air outside and suck cold air in. So I'm thinking of setting up a system where I can use a filter in the winter and vent outside in the summer. Or just vent outside year around and wear warmer clothes in the winter. Maybe set up a way I can get solar heated air from the south side of the house in the winter. Or a heat exchanger so the hot air leaving can heat the cold air coming in.

Can you tell that I tend to over-think things?