Take two on wooden hinges

sw1

I decided to try a more integrated approach to wooden hinges. Instead of making a hinge and tacking it on, I just made a big box joint. I then clamped it together and drilled a hole in each side. Before gluing everything in place, I used a belt sander to radius the edges for clearance. It is important to not to take off too much. I like to take off just enough to move easily without leaving a large gap you can see into the box through. You also just want to radius the edges, and leave the back flat. This lets the lid open to about 95°, eliminating the need for any additional stops. Next I took a bamboo skewer and some CA glue and glued the skewer in to the inside (moveable) portion only. After the glue was set I mitered the edges, which cut the skewer to size. This also hides the skewer once the box is assembled.

post-153-0-00243800-1300872316_thumb.jpg

Back View

post-153-0-04398600-1300872488_thumb.jpg

From the side

post-153-0-76716000-1300872534_thumb.jpg

And finally a bird's eye view.

Hope yall get inspired and show us some different ways you like to make them.

Not that the one you did before was bad, but the integration of the hinge here is the next step in the evolution. How big is the box?

I made this from scraps from another project and it is small. It turned out at 5" wide and 3" deep.

I made this from scraps from another project and it is small. It turned out at 5" wide and 3" deep.

I wondered. The hinge seemed to over power the box, but now I know why. That was sort of my suspicion. I think that on a larger box making a couple of these versus running it all the way across the back might be nice. Kudos for your journey on this wooden hinge trek.