Low Angle vs Standard Angle

Sac

So I know that it is inevitable that I am going to be getting another block plane at some point. I know that it is going to be a LN. Is there any reason why I should get a standard angle over the low angle? I was planning on getting the 60 1/2, but curious about the 9 1/2. I already have the 102, but want something a little bigger that also has the adjustable mouth. Thanks

if you get a low angle you can always get a second plane iron with a different bevel to accommodate a higher angle. might be that the 60 1/2 is narrower than the 9 1/2 so having the low angle might be a disadvantage in that way. I cant tell that they are different in width i know the antiques the low angle was narrower than the regular angle. or atleast my Millers Falls blocks are.

ps this scares the bejesus out of me when reading thier site;

"Proposition 65 Notice: Bronze and brass alloys contain lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling"

Sac, I got a standard angle block about a year ago specifically to have a small plane for touch up work and breaking edges. When working with typical face and edge grain on hardwoods I get a better cut and less tearout. In some instances I use this plane as a small smoother and that higher angle is useful.

Sac, I got a standard angle block about a year ago specifically to have a small plane for touch up work and breaking edges. When working with typical face and edge grain on hardwoods I get a better cut and less tearout. In some instances I use this plane as a small smoother and that higher angle is useful.

Very interesting... I was getting some pretty natsy tear out on a project that i was just working on. Maybe this would help. What you are saying does make sense though. I have the low angle regualar block plane.. and the low angle rabbet block.. Maybe I need to step into the standard angle area.. Keep it comin people..

If you are worried that by getting a standard angle block plane you will miss out on the benefits of a low-angle block plane, like working on endgrain, don't be. By skewing a standard angle block plane by about 30º, you'll drop the effective cutting angle of the blade to the same angle as you would find on a low-angle block plane.

Couldn't you also take a low-angle block plane and grind a secondary bevel on the blade at 30° and essentially get the same result as a standard angle block plane? I recently received a LN low-angle block plane and I am planning on picking up another blade specifically for this purpose.

So I know that it is inevitable that I am going to be getting another block plane at some point. I know that it is going to be a LN. Is there any reason why I should get a standard angle over the low angle? I was planning on getting the 60 1/2, but curious about the 9 1/2. I already have the 102, but want something a little bigger that also has the adjustable mouth. Thanks

My standard angle block planes see a lot of work doing just ordinary carpentry jobs. They're very handy in a number of applications. For instance, I was fitting a piece of plywood on a wall and cut it a bit too big. Didn't have a bench or clamp, so I held the plywood in one hand and out comes the standard angle block plane (actually an old Sargent 306, like a Stanley 9 1/2) with a sharp iron. Ten strokes, a little test, five more strokes, perfect fit. Too little to take off with a saw, just right for a plane. Try holding a piece of plywood in one hand and a No. 3 in the other--a bit awkward. I have another beater standard angle block that comes in handy for scraping the paint line underneath sash moulding or door stop moulding. Standard angles are great for chamfering an edge too. If you're doing end grain, just use your LN 102, which is a low angle plane, right? If you're going to get a standard angle block plane, I'd suggest shopping around for the one that fits most comfortably in one hand. I find the bigger block planes a bit unwieldy. Oh and a bit of advice: I find the knuckle cap types to pop up on you at the worst times.