DW735 planer knives

DiscoDenny

I just read a review about thses things in WOOD mag not too long ago..THey said that they last about three times as long as the HSS ones.. It would hurt the pocket book to do, but it might be worth it.

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has used the Infinity HSS planer knives for the DW735 and if they are worth more than double the cost of OEM knives?

Infinity knife set is $79.90.

http://www.infinitytools.com/HSS-Knives-For-DeWalt-735-Planer/productinfo/HSSK-041/

I can get 2 sets of OEM knives for about $70.

Thanks

Denny

Denny,

I bought the carbide knives from Infinity for $250. However, thinking forwards, if you anticipate lots of use from the planer, I'd consider the Shelix head. I know it's expensive, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

I've wondered the same thing for years myself. Their website says they will last longer and now WOOD apparently says pretty much the same thing but what has kept me from buying them is the lack of confirmation from actual users. Of course, I'm one of the lucky ones that has never had any problems with the OEM knives so spending twice as much for the Infinity HSS knives doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

I just read a review about thses things in WOOD mag not too long ago..THey said that they last about three times as long as the HSS ones.. It would hurt the pocket book to do, but it might be worth it.

I need to correct myself here. I thought that you were talking about the carbide blades. I should have read a little closer. I am not sure about how the HSS blades hold up. Sorry for any confusion..

Denny,

I bought the carbide knives from Infinity for $250. However, thinking forwards, if you anticipate lots of use from the planer, I'd consider the Shelix head. I know it's expensive, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

The Shelix head may be a future purchase but right now I'm saving my pennies for a 8" jointer and dust collection.

I need to correct myself here. I thought that you were talking about the carbide blades. I should have read a little closer. I am not sure about how the HSS blades hold up. Sorry for any confusion..

hehe... No problem. Yeah, i was looking through my old issues yesterday and couldn't find a HSS blade article. I did come across the carbide blade article in the March issue and figured you were referring to that. Thanks anyway.

I'm leaning towards the Grizzly G0656PX . It has the spiral cutterhead. I'm waiting to see if they do a spring sale this year. If I can get a good percent off or free shipping I may jump to the G0490X as it has the spiral cutterhead and parallelogram beds.

Denny,

I too am looking to get an 8" spiral head jointer, and am leaning towards the G0656PX. My biggest issue is that the jointer is a beast, and takes up a lot of floor space. That being said, Woodworker's Journal for April has a 10% off coupon for Grizzly tools that ends on 4/30/2011. I'll keep any eye on their spring sale, but this may be a good deal. Hope this is of help.