centering tenons on an angled cut

tperson

Needing some help gents, I think I know how to do what I need to do…just need confirmation. Here’s the skinny: we need new bar stools in the kitchen (we bought some second-hand cheap ones when we moved and they’re not designed to handle the abuse of 5 children). Since I’m a chair-building novice, I scoured the interweb until I found a set of chair plans for a design that were scalable for stools and that matched our décor (link below). I finished the pine prototype last night, a few mistakes made and a few tweaks needed, but otherwise it turned out okay. Man, I can tell you that the pantorouter was made for this kind of construction, all of M/T fit perfectly and they were a breeze to make. My problem is that the two upper side pieces (stretchers?) are assembled at an angle (7.5deg) and when I cut my tenons, they didn’t end up centered. I think where I goofed up, is when I centered the bit at the end of the part and not at the root of the tenon. Make sense? My question is this: anyone got any good/fast/easy/repeatable ways to accomplish this? If I can get this figured out, I can start on the 5 bar stools and 7 dining chairs. Actually, the answer can come right before the tenons are cut…it shouldn’t change anything up until then.

Visualizing the centerpoint is a little tricky to draw since you have to think three-dimensionally. Hopefully the drawing below helps a little. 

chair plans: https://woodarchivist.com/3524-dining-room-chair-plans/

ChairPlans.JPG

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 7:10 PM, Chestnut said:

Also I'd set the side rails so they aren't flush with the outside of the leg it kinda looks odd esp when you have a reveal on the front.

this is the problem I ran into since my tenons aren't centered in the rails

On 10/16/2023 at 7:52 PM, Coop said:

Drew, either I didn’t understand the question or I don’t understand the first part of your answer. Care to elaborate a bit? Thanks

yeah, thanks Coop...I was going to ask for clarification on the first part too.

Trig to the rescue! I had a stroke of clarity this morning and thought “hey, draw it out completely and use some math to figure it out”…so I did. Looks like the center offset for the angled tenon is 0.082”, which will resolve the reveal issue Chestnut pointed out and make everything look correct. I attached my drawing, it’s a little messy  (it’s been a long time since drafting class) but it gets the job done. Shifting the center by 82 thousandths shouldn’t be a big deal…get the first one laid out correctly and index all the others based on that.

A few missing details from the drawing: 

- NTS means Not to Scale (nothing I draw is, very important to remember)

- tenon length is 5/8"

TenonOffset.jpg

• Like 1

been pondering this most of the afternoon and I think I made a mistake...the length of the tenon is 0.625 and should be the hypotenuse of the triangle. The equation should be:

sin(7.5) = x/0.625

sin(7.5)*0.625 = x

0.081 = x

Doesn't change the offset by much (0.001), but that's because the tenon is short and the angle is minor. 

• Like 1