Resaw Question

roughsawn

When resawing, is there an advantage...or correct way to position the smaller piece to be sawn off? In other words, should the piece to be used off of the larger piece of wood be positioned to the inside (up against the fence), or to the outside of the bandsaw blade?

And, is there a reason for it to be one way or the other?

I like the thinner piece to be toward the fence when I'm cutting multiple pieces.  If I'm sawing guitar backs or sides I want them the same thickness so I may cut 0.150" for backs and 0.125" for sides, but whatever thickness I cut they should be the same for each piece, one thickness for backs and a different thickness for sides (usually).  For me it's easier to push the board through with the thicker piece toward the outside, too.

However, if you're not paying attention it's possible for the piece to walk away from the fence resulting in a thinner piece than desired.  Placing the thick piece toward the fence and letting the target piece fall away to the outside means it's just about impossible to cut the target piece too thin.  You'll have to reset the fence for each cut and will likely end up with a variance but some prefer to do it this way.

• Like 2