blooming now

curlyoak

On 11/6/2023 at 12:57 PM, Tpt life said:

If you ever make it to Bloomington, you’d enjoy the IU greenhouse. Parking is a pain, but the collection is impressive. 

That would be fun. I'm trying to get to Fairchild Gardens. A special place just a 2.5 hour drive. I'm trying to find the time...

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, Coop said:

) Are all 4 pics of the same tree? I see a cactus looking plant in the third one? 
2) How did you get it started on the tree to begin with?

4 different trees. Both the cactus and orchid get tied on to the trees with cotton strings or nurseryman's tape. A stretchy tape without glue. Either will not harm the tree. A wire will kill trees. In general the idea is to imitate their natural habitat. There they get all that is needed by nature. That is my job. I furnish the water. Unless it rains. Discipline is required. Mounted on a tree, not in a pot requires water every day. Me or the rain. And if you want flowers you better feed them too. In the second picture look to the top and see some red. That is a dragon fruit produced from the cactus. Very tasty treat. Night blooming Cereus.

If you try to plant one, plant it so it gets morning sun. Most orchids like that.

IMG_9900.thumb.jpeg.8c970bf06ad32e476187ba4bd357e28b.jpegIMG_9898.thumb.jpeg.8f49b37dbe21839c85a9096831eab3d5.jpeg

• Like 2

IMG_9959.thumb.jpeg.7bdebe138234f8426a00b817d0fea3d6.jpeg

Held in place with nurseryman tape.

IMG_9961.thumb.jpeg.5e01998f2a9dd242c22f398d4426bbfb.jpeg

Orchids, which are air plants, will generate an enormous amount of roots compared to the same plant potted. The roots on this tree will have 10x the roots in a potted plant. To get these results the orchid must like the local climate.

• Like 2