Buffing out a dull finish.... need a little advice/direction/how-to

Rip

Hey Guys, 

I, actually my son, inherited a nice dining table from my mom after she passed fairly recently. It's in great shape overall but the finish (I'm assuming a poly) has become noticeably dull in areas. Most of what I have found to fix this type of problem tends to be a little more aggressive than I'm comfortable with at this point. I think all I need to do is to basically just buff out/revive the finish. Anyway, is there a way to use maybe some type of paste wax or a specialty compound along with some very fine sandpaper or even just a mildly abrasive buffing pad to bring back the shine? Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times before but, any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Welcome, @Rip. A photo or two might provoke more accurate answers, but I'll offer a suggestion.

If the finish has dull, glazed areas, but is otherwise glossy, your assesment is probably correct. Paste wax may temporarily restore the dull areas, but buffing the surface to an even sheen throughout will produce a much better, permanent result. The polyurathanes and conversion varnishes used on modern commercial furniture can often be polished with compounds designed for automotive finishes. Perhaps you can check a local auto parts store for 'polishing' compound. 'Rubbing' compound is generally more coarse. Test on an inconspicuous spot first, as some automotive products contain silicone, which apparently interferes with subsequent application of furniture wax.

Need pictures.  Up close of a dull spot, and overall of the whole top.  I might even be able to send you a few things to try if I can figure out something to put them in-maybe ziplock bags.  I have all sorts of polishing compounds for paint and gelcoat that will shine almost anything.  They're fairly expensive and you could easily burn though a bunch of money before you found what works best.  

one example:  https://www.amazon.com/3M-06094-Perfect-ItEX-Machine-Polish/dp/B015S8S2RG/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=2J2ECOV4GHEWG&keywords=machine%2Bpolishing%2Bcompound&qid=1699407533&sprefix=machine%2Bpolishing%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

Even though that says machine polish, you can use it by hand.

The choose files will appear here:

addfiles.thumb.jpg.e0c8016620371415007ab1217ee276c3.jpg

The ability to buff out a finish can rely on the thickness of the film that is present.  You have to have something to buff :).  Michael Dresdner advocates a method he calls "power waxing" for thick OR thin film finishes. A white non-woven pad is dipped in wax and then run on the surface with a random orbit sander (or a polisher if you have one).  You cover the surface area as if you were sanding it and then quickly wipe the excess off with paper towels, changing as they become soiled, before the wax has time to set up.

• Like 1