Looking for feedback on Jointer/planer combo machines

Ron Swanson Jr.

I really need to upgrade my jointer. My old Delta has so many bands aid fixes... It's not fun and parts are impossible to find. 

So I'm looking for an 8" helical head -anyone in MN who has one to sell, hit me up. 

Anyway, to get to the point, I'm also considering a jointer/planer combo like the 3HP Jet pj-12bhh for example. 

I'm space starved in my garage and combining 2 machines into 1 footprint would sure be nice. 

But i just don't know much about these machines. I've heard horrible things about the entry level Jet (it goes for about $800 new) So I'm looking for feedback on the larger 3HP 230V machines that are usually between $5-6k. 

So does anyone have one, and if so... Would you recommend it? Or would you go back to separate machines given the choice?

Thanks

Doug

I too have read the horror stories about some of the lower end combo machines.  Independent reviews support what folks say on the forums as well.  I too was space starved for many years and tool a long hard look at these offerings.  I am sure they have improved from when I was looking 10 years or so ago.  I would look into the machine you are thinking about VERY diligently. 

A lot of folks tend to convince themselves that they have made a good decision just because the dumped a chunk of change on something.  They will report all the joys and gloss over the not-so-goods.  These people are not super helpful in a forum environment.  When I screw up I tend to tell everyone in an effort to save them the trouble. :)

The "Euro" combo machines get a lot of respect but I want long tables and a stout fence on my jointer.  This is just important for how I use the machine.  Less important for some one else; not right or wrong, just different use cases.  They were also a little steep for my budget BUT, you would use it for the rest of your life.

I used a planer sled for face jointing while I saved my pennies for an 8" helical jointer.  Was it as nice as task specific machines? No. But it sure took up less space.  There are plans out there.  I think I have some if you are interested.  I don't know that this is a long term fix but I did it for a year and a half.  This also does nothing for your face to edge perpendicularity operation.  A hand plane works but, do I really want to do that every time? :)

• Like 1

Thanks @gee-dub!

You nailed several concerns that i have!

Inn my mind, i just have this opinion that when they try to combine multiple machines into 1, what you end up with is one machine that doesn't do any task very well. The printer/fax/copier comes to mind. 

But the practical side of me says "but the space! Think of the space you'll save!" And so here we are. 

I doubt I'll end up going down this path, as everything you've said just kind of validates some fears i have. But you never know. I'll do a little more research. The few reviews over read so far, the person working it hasn't always sounded like they really know what their talking about in the first place.

Thanks!

Doug

I have owned a Hammer A3/31 J/P for many years (I think like 15ish). I bought the floor model at AWFS for about $3,500. First the good. The Tersa straight knives on this thing are outstanding, although I would go helical head if I bought one today. Second the machine has worked flawlessly for all these years, I have replaced one $14 capacitor a couple years back, that's it. Its got 12" wide jointing and planing I could never go less lol. Its a small foot print and the new ones are smaller yet, due to how the beds flip up.

Now the not so great the aluminum fence will never be as stout as a steel machined fence period. This has not been an issue for me perse but I understand @gee-dub concern. I have also never had issue with the bed length, especially on the jointer, but even the short planer beds have not proven to be an issue for me. While I have thought about purchasing the auxiliary bed extensions, outside of my workbench build, that I used rollers on, I have just not had an issue to spend the money. Finally the biggest issue is that one time when everything is milled and you realize you need to plane one more board ;)

Final thoughts if space money were not an issue I would go with separates as long as I could get both a 12" jointer and a 12+ inch planer. If space is an issue, like for me, the J/P can't be beat but as gee-dub states do your homework while I know from personal experience the Hammer and Felder machines are very good I have heard horror stories on others over the years. FWIW I solved the occasional oh crap planer moment by picking up an Oliver 12" lunchbox helical head planer for $899 a couple years back and that thing rocks.

BTW If you ever want to run out and check mine out just reach out and we can set something up. While the new ones are a bit different it will give you a feel for switch over, build quality, etc.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, pkinneb said:

I have owned a Hammer A3/31 J/P for many years (I think like 15ish). I bought the floor model at AWFS for about $3,500. First the good. The Tersa straight knives on this thing are outstanding, although I would go helical head if I bought one today. Second the machine has worked flawlessly for all these years, I have replaced one $14 capacitor a couple years back, that's it. Its got 12" wide jointing and planing I could never go less lol. Its a small foot print and the new ones are smaller yet, due to how the beds flip up.

Now the not so great the aluminum fence will never be as stout as a steel machined fence period. This has not been an issue for me perse but I understand @gee-dub concern. I have also never had issue with the bed length, especially on the jointer, but even the short planer beds have not proven to be an issue for me. While I have thought about purchasing the auxiliary bed extensions, outside of my workbench build, that I used rollers on, I have just not had an issue to spend the money. Finally the biggest issue is that one time when everything is milled and you realize you need to plane one more board ;)

Final thoughts if space money were not an issue I would go with separates as long as I could get both a 12" jointer and a 12+ inch planer. If space is an issue, like for me, the J/P can't be beat but as gee-dub states do your homework while I know from personal experience the Hammer and Felder machines are very good I have heard horror stories on others over the years. FWIW I solved the occasional oh crap planer moment by picking up an Oliver 12" lunchbox helical head planer for $899 a couple years back and that thing rocks.

BTW If you ever want to run out and check mine out just reach out and we can set something up. While the new ones are a bit different it will give you a feel for switch over, build quality, etc.

Thanks @pkinneb! Very detailed, very helpful. 

I was speaking to the manager of the local Woodcraft store and he gave me a very tempting offer on an Oliver jointer. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it this morning. 

But i DEFINITELY appreciate your thoughtful, detailed reply!

Are you in the Twin Cities?

Thanks!

Doug

On 11/29/2023 at 4:53 AM, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

Thanks @pkinneb! Very detailed, very helpful. 

I was speaking to the manager of the local Woodcraft store and he gave me a very tempting offer on an Oliver jointer. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it this morning. 

But i DEFINITELY appreciate your thoughtful, detailed reply!

Are you in the Twin Cities?

Thanks!

Doug

Doug technically yes but out there a ways, we're in Zimmerman :) 

• Like 1