Understanding the Durability of Wooden Windows

Hey everyone,

I've been contemplating installing wooden windows in my home, but I'm a bit hesitant about their durability. I understand that wooden windows offer a classic aesthetic appeal, but I'm concerned about their longevity, especially considering factors like weather exposure and maintenance requirements.

Could anyone share their experiences with wooden windows?

How do they hold up over time compared to other materials like vinyl or aluminum?

Are there specific types of wood or treatments that enhance their durability?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated as I weigh the pros and cons of this option for my home.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:23 AM, riqaza said:

Hey everyone,

I've been contemplating installing wooden windows in my home, but I'm a bit hesitant about their durability. I understand that wooden windows offer a classic aesthetic appeal, but I'm concerned about their longevity, especially considering factors like weather exposure and maintenance requirements.

Could anyone share their experiences with wooden windows?

How do they hold up over time compared to other materials like vinyl or aluminum?

Are there specific types of wood or treatments that enhance their durability www.naturfonster.se?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated as I weigh the pros and cons of this option for my home.

thanks in advance for any help

One question: where do you live?  Wooden windows were common in SD/ND when I lived up there, but didn't hold up well in Albuquerque (high desert with lots of sunshine, which can be rough on wood).  May be a totally different answer in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time, and yet another answer in the deep south, rain + high heat/humidity.    

I also live near albuquerque.  Had wooden ( pella) windows for 30 years, then i moved.  They may still be there, who knows.

They were a HEADACHE, after the original  finish wore out. They required refinishing every two years. The original finish lasted about 5 years.  I used helmsman spar varnish for the refinishing.  I have heard since then that that varnish is not known for longevity.   

i should point out that these windows were metal clad on the outside, so all of the refinishing i had to do was on the inside and edges.

i swore i would not have wooden widows again.