Matchfit clamp slides in dovetail track

I built a miter saw station with fold-out wings, and I put MatchFit dovetail slots in the wings for stops.  But when I clamp a piece of wood to the wing with a MatchFit clamp to act as a stop, I find that it slides in the track no matter how hard I tighten the clamp.  There may be some sawdust in the track, but still I wouldn't expect it to slide when it's clamped down.  I used a MatchFit router bit to make the slots.

Also, when I use the MatchFit dovetail track nuts I find that they bind up into the dovetail, and in order to move them I need to knock them back down into the track.

All in all, I'm getting kinda frustrated with the MatchFit system, and reconsidering my decision to go with MatchFit instead of T-track.

Any advice, thoughts, comments?

No cupping or bowing.  I tried blowing out the track with compressed air, no help.  Using a stop block made with MatchFit hardware worked good enough.  It would move slightly if I knocked it with a piece of wood, but would stay still if I was gentle.  I often slide the workpiece down to the stop; I'll have to train myself to be more careful.

MatchFit Stop 1.JPG

MatchFit Stop 2.JPG

I popped out to the shop to check mine work like I remember and they do - rock solid when I tighten them and move smoothly when loosened. I took a couple of photos in case they give you any hints.

Edited to add: One thing I did notice is the bottom of the Matchfit knob doesn't have a lot of surface area, so if I push inline with a slot (see 2nd photo below), I could get my stop blocks to slide a little if I really tried. But I think you are talking about the green wedge sliding, so that's a different issue.

PXL_20240430_012634042.thumb.jpg.d7edc288045214309d47191ddac37a44.jpgPXL_20240430_012541493.thumb.jpg.14e2636a425a30cf461dac072eeafedc.jpg

• Thanks 1

I tried a different clamp and a different block of wood, no luck.  But, I think I figured out the problem:  I think I cut the track too shallow, so the runner/base of the clamp can lift up slightly above the table.  The block gets clamped tightly between the clamp's screw and base, but the clamp and block is free to move in the track.

Tomorrow I'll try cutting deeper tracks and see what happens.  I think I'll test it on a piece of scrap plywood before I start hacking on my miter saw station.

Thanks for the help, Von.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 10:22 AM, Mark J said:

@Beechwood Chip, thinking about this a little more.  If you haven't re-cut the track, yet,  you could test your theory by interposing a few sheets of ordinary paper between the stop block and fence.   

Great idea!  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:22 AM, Mark J said:

@Beechwood Chip, thinking about this a little more.  If you haven't re-cut the track, yet,  you could test your theory by interposing a few sheets of ordinary paper between the stop block and fence.   

Yup, putting a couple playing cards under the block solved the problem.  For now I'll just use a dedicated stop block that has a cut out for the MatchFit track nut.  I was thinking I'd route out the track, inlay a piece of wood, and cut a new MatchFit track at a better depth, but seriously, I'd have to be really bored before that happened.

Thanks, Mark and Von for the support.

• Like 2

Late to the party.  You guys have already figured out that due to the geometry you can cut the dovetail a bit too deep but not a bit too shallow.  Great solution with the Forstner bit.  Well done.  I have also noticed that the nuts can get wedged and require a downward push to pop them loose at times.

• Like 2