Super expensive wood

samhell

So I'm cruising through the hardwood place with my single piece of $2 /BF hard maple and I go to the "exotics" isles. Looking at some nice figured woods.... and then I hit the far wall and see all these small (3' - 4') pieces of what looks like plain ebony and other non-exotic looking woods. I look up at the prices and see they are from $90 - $140 / BF!! What the heck? Do people actually use this stuff? If so, what do they use it for? If I bought one of these pieces I'd have to leave it as-is and coat it in poly or something and mount it on the wall. I couldn't bear to put a tool to wood that expensive. And why use a wood that costly when you can use something that looks just about the same for < $20 /BF?

Well, Gaboon Ebony is great for accents in G&G furniture. Things like ebony plugs that are proud and splines. I must admit I used to use walnut that was ebonized, but when you make a plug out of ebony and buff it with some rouge, it's priceless, really! I bought some recently and it was sold by the pound, $15 a pound, which translates into about $85-$90 a BF.

I'm with Rob... I stopped reading at "$2/bf hard maple". I'll trade you Nopales for it?

At Woodworkers Source near (too near) my work, they have some really nice 2' lengths of Kingwood for over $100/bf. They also have black-as-night (not in winter in Alaska) Ebony for $99/bf (IIRC). Like Chris said, if you are using it for plugs, you don't use much. Those plastic "Ebony" plugs are looking nicer now, huh? :)

Ebony is expensive, big pieces with clear grain and no brown steaks more so. All species aren't equal as well, there is a big difference between Macassar, Gaboon, and Ceylon.

I couldn't bear to put a tool to wood that expensive

Even with a thin kerf blade, each cut is expensive. That's some pricey sawdust!

why use a wood that costly when you can use something that looks just about the same

Sometimes just about isn't good enough.

My best ever wood bargain is a piece of Ceylon ebony I bought for $13, if my daughter keeps up with her violin lessons maybe it'll become a fingerboard.

$2 a bf for hard maple? You must be shopping in Vermont!

Nope. So. California. It was something like $2.40 for the maple a few months ago when I was there. It was at Austin Hardwoods. Maybe they'll ship you some. :) Maybe I got a discount piece or something, I dunno. I just wanted a clean piece of hard maple with straight grain for guitar necks. :) They had a rack of maple and a rack that specifically said hard maple. The two other places I go are like $3.xx Not exactly where you'd expect to find all this wood being that we don't really have any forests for miles around here but I have 3 lumber yards just a short drive from me that I know of.