Routing Brass?

ztifpatrick

Brass is softer than some woods, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience using a router on brass? If you're a fan of G&G this may make sense to you , other wise bear with me and I'll try to explain. I want to use brass pins in some ebony accents on a G&G piece i'm making. Years ago they would attach the brass screw leaving it proud, then file the head of the screw down until the slot was gone and it looked like a brass pin was holding the wood in place. I tried filing, slow work and if you're not carefull it's easy to mark up the wood. So I wondered if you could shave the brass off using a router? What kind of bit? Carbide or HSS? I'm thinking it would have to be a flat bottomed bit? Sorry, though I have routers and use them occasionally, I'm not good with all the bits and names!

I don't know either way about routing brass, but I'll offer this suggestion for the screws:

First drill & insert the screws (as-is) to the depth you want.

Then back the screw out

Take it over to a belt or disc sander with an extremely lo grit and remove most of the slot on the head.

Take the screw back to the piece and carefully drive it back into place, leave you with just a little filing to do once it is in place.

i'd second the dremel idea. this is what i use for very similar operations. for more precision and control, you can actually use a cut-off wheel instead of a grinding wheel. you use it in the same orientation as you would a grinding wheel, but the thinner kerf gives more precise control. this goes without saying, but be sure to wear safety glasses due to the fine brass powder you will produce and also in case the wheel shatters.

I have hit a brass guide with a bit before *dont ask lol* and it didnt damage the bit but ate the brass, but I would say for sure a dremel would be way safer. Yeah its wild when one of them wheels decides to explode I had one cut my cheek once.

i'd second the dremel idea. this is what i use for very similar operations. for more precision and control, you can actually use a cut-off wheel instead of a grinding wheel. you use it in the same orientation as you would a grinding wheel, but the thinner kerf gives more precise control. this goes without saying, but be sure to wear safety glasses due to the fine brass powder you will produce and also in case the wheel shatters.

So you guys would use a dremel hand held? Never thought you could get enough precision

You're on the right track, use your router instead of a Dremel. It's easier to control, leaves a nicer finish, and with careful setup you can get right down to the surface of the wood. I've used both carbide tipped router bits and saw blades, as well as HSS lathe tools with success. I'd use a flat bottomed bit, either a straight cutter or a spiral, whatever you already have. Take small bites and use a slow feed rate.

Here's some brass pins I made for some Krenov style planes.

F.jpg

You're on the right track, use your router instead of a Dremel. It's easier to control, leaves a nicer finish, and with careful setup you can get right down to the surface of the wood. I've used both carbide tipped router bits and saw blades, as well as HSS lathe tools with success. I'd use a flat bottomed bit, either a straight cutter or a spiral, whatever you already have. Take small bites and use a slow feed rate.

Here's some brass pins I made for some Krenov style planes.

F.jpg

Thanks for the help and direction, I'm gonna try it.