Birthday Bucks Blown

alindsey

I bought the Shaptons. Even with my employee discount it was quite a bite financially, but wow they're nice. I should never have let Cosman talk me into trying his, damn and blast his evil Canadian soul.

Soon as I clean them up a bit I'm going to have a set of Norton waterstones and a MkII up on the Marketplace forum. Gotta save up for the diamond lapping plate.

Ooh you'll like them (I have a damned Canadian soul, too, though laugh.gif)

Which grits did you get? Also curious why you're selling off the MKII. I freehand chisels and touch-up plane irons freehand, but if a plane iron needs something more aggressive, I use that jig.

Now you're chisels will be sharp enough for you to look like your avatar! ohmy.gif

Ooh you'll like them (I have a damned Canadian soul, too, though laugh.gif)

Which grits did you get? Also curious why you're selling off the MKII. I freehand chisels and touch-up plane irons freehand, but if a plane iron needs something more aggressive, I use that jig.

Now you're chisels will be sharp enough for you to look like your avatar! ohmy.gif

1000, 4000, 8000 & 16,000 and a stone holder. Will eventually pony up for the lapping plate but for now I think I'll be OK using my coarse DMT to flatten them.

As for the MkII... short answer - I never use it.

I have the MkII and the cambering roller for it (which has never even been opened) but most of my hand sharpening is on my plane irons which I've gotten pretty good at doing freehand. I never liked the MkII for chisels. Once I got smaller than 1/2" I had difficulty, no matter how carefully I tightened it down, with the chisel skewing in the jig so I found myself using an inexpensive side-gripper guide while the MkII gathered dust.

Now my chisel-acquisition sickness has reached a point where I have 8 sets and am eyeing a 9th. With that many to keep honed I've been using a WorkSharp with the DMT sharpening and honing magnetic honing wheels with good results. So except for my mortising chisels it's unlikely that I'll be hand-sharpening chisels at all.