how I got rid of powder post beetle larvae

janhuge

I probably could explain this a little quicker but I'll give a little background as to how I got rid of powder post beetle larvae from some lumber.

Last fall I was hired to construct a built-in bed and after looking at a bunch of different lumber I chose beetle damaged elm for the drawer fronts. I liked the look of the wood and thought I could easily get rid of any remaining larvae (if there was any) with mineral spirits and finishing. (I had no experience with it, but I convinced myself it would work). While constructing the drawer boxes, face-frame and carcass of the bed I stored the elm board that was to be used for the drawer fronts, keeping an eye on any signs of larvae activity (the telltale dust that comes out of any of the little holes). With no noticeable signs of the little critters I went ahead and gave the elm a pretty good soaking with mineral spirits and finished the project.

A few weeks after the install I got a call from the client to tell me that the larvae were active- they found some piles of fine dust under one of the drawer faces. (The clients were really cool and understanding). I did some online research that talked about fuming and chemicals but was wary of either one. I took the drawer faces home and used a printer ink refill syringe to fill the holes with mineral spirits- this did not work. The elm was pretty cheap so I was considering just remaking the drawer fronts and then in the middle of the night (when a lot of my problem solving happens) it occurred to me to put the drawer fronts into my veneering vacuum bag. It has been a few months with no sign of any active larvae and I don't see how any little maggoty critters could survive the intense negative pressure of a veneer pump.

I can't guarantee this will work but it seems like it did for me. Just thought I'd share it...

post-3847-0-39221200-1303451122_thumb.jp

Really nice piece, too. Love the crazy grain of Elm; bummer it is so difficult to find out here in Arizona (wanna trade some for Nopales?)

Killer idea on the vacuum bag (pun intended).

Thanks. I love the grain of the elm, especially finished with a water based poly. I grew up in and have done most of my work around New England, where elm used to be everywhere, and I had never seen it used before. I live in Colorado now and was surprised to find it.

I probably could explain this a little quicker but I'll give a little background as to how I got rid of powder post beetle larvae from some lumber.

<snip>

it occurred to me to put the drawer fronts into my veneering vacuum bag. It has been a few months with no sign of any active larvae and I don't see how any little maggoty critters could survive the intense negative pressure of a veneer pump.

I can't guarantee this will work but it seems like it did for me. Just thought I'd share it...

Probably the lack of oxygen rather than the pressure. How long did you keep the vacuum running?

The usual home solutions I've seen (mostly woodturners) is the microwave for small pieces (high power in short bursts) or the freezer for a week. Both seem to work. Your pieces may be too big for either, though.

John

Yeah the freezer works best according to the Tv Verminators a client on there had some african masks that ended up having them and the pest control guys told them to stick them in the freezer for 3-4 days I believe.

I read that the freezer might work but the drawer faces were too big to fit in mine. I also considered how the beetles would live through the winters here, and if they would survive the freezer. I wonder if the larvae are only hatched in warmer months??

As far as insecticides and other chemicals, I really wanted to avoid that stuff. Besides, the holes were so small and there were so many I didn't think it would work without total saturation.