Remote for Dust Collector

Renzo

I've got my dust collector facing a certain way that allows the 4" hose runs to run straight, but that means the on off switch is behind the unit rather than at the front (if that makes any sense). It's a tad annoying to reach down and behind to turn it on and off.

I've seen dust collector specific remotes at Rockler and other places for just over $70 http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10740&filter=dust%20collector%20remote

Is there any problem with using a simple X10 appliance control device such as... http://www.smarthome.com/56045/Woods-32555-Outdoor-Remote-Control/p.aspx

There are several similar models around the same price. I'd get one that had a grounded cord and allowed plugging in a grounded device (i.e. 3 prong)

Seems that they're pretty much the same and $13 is certainly better than $70.

Renzo,

I'm relying on my memory here, so I may be off. But, I believe my old Jet DC1100 needed to be on a 20amp circuit. While Rockler's switching device doesn't state the amperage rating, I'm assuming they've sized it appropriately for what they intend it to do. The less expensive one is only rated for 13amps, so it's not an apples to apples comparison and shouldn't work with your DC unit.

You may consider getting the i-socket 110m Tool and Vacuum Switch... the dust collector starts automatically when you start a tool, then runs a bit longer after the tools shuts off...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17351&filter=dust%20collector

Phil

Phil,

The only issue with one of these is that you have to have your stationary power tool plugged into the same receptacle as your DC :)

My used DC came with a 240V X10 remote system. The second time my dust collector turned on by itself I started unplugging it when it was not in use. I plug it in when I go into the shop, turn it on and off with the remote, and unplug it when I leave. Works OK.

X10 is a pretty "dumb" protocol - it can get fooled by noise that it thinks is a command. If I was doing it over, I'd spring for Insteon, which is like X10 but much smarter. Also, I use Insteon in the rest of my house.

I use the Long Ranger remote DC switch. $47 through Amazon, which I know you can't get easily. Perhaps someone else sells it up there. It has an RF signal and works well for me. 20amp for the 110V version and there's a larger 220V version (25amp, $56). You can buy additional remotes if you like; comes with one that fits nicely in your pocket or on your table saw fence. I like that the remotes work between the versions (you key them to the switch) so if I ever upgrade to a 220V dust collector, I can buy the 220V Long Ranger and use the remote for the 110V as a second remote if I'd want to (though I'd want to sell the old one!)

How far are you from the border? I know lots of guys have stuff shipped to drop sites just near the border then go pick them up. PITA, but works if you really want something (or order enough to make it worth it). In fact, I'm certain some are on this forum... hmm

The previous poster is correct that all that matters is the amperage and voltage of the remote, and of course the range but you'd have to have a pretty humongous workshop for an X10 device to not work. I have a Jet dust collector with a 220V remote relay that works just fine. Not sure if it's a generic X10 device, but it definitely NOT the $70 version. I looked at them and realized that as long as the device was 220V and 20A it would work fine. I've had mine for close to ten years and it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

You may consider getting the i-socket 110m Tool and Vacuum Switch... the dust collector starts automatically when you start a tool, then runs a bit longer after the tools shuts off...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17351&filter=dust%20collector

Phil

I have one of these connected to my mitersaw with an old kirby vacuum. Works great.