OSB

In this topic there was some discussion about OSB and some interesting uses it was put to. I was wondering if anyone else has some ideas of what to use it for in and around the shop. I get some of this given to me some times and usually turn it down if I can. Seems the uses for it are few unless you are sheeting a new building. Sure would appreciate any ideas for use that you would like to share here.

Thanks.

I like it for cheap shelving. I can get a couple of sheets and some 2x4's at the borg, rip some of the 2-by's longways and build custom to fit shelving wherever I need it in the shop, garage or garden shed. Did I mention it's cheap?

Had an idea for using it for a bench top. Rip it in 4 inch strips drill holes for ready rod then laminate, glue, and use ready rod with nuts and washers to hold it together. Should be one cheap and hardy surface covered with hard board and edged with hard wood.

I built cabinets for my shop and all the face frames and drawer fronts are knotty pine, and I haven't made the doors yet I've been toying with the idea of running OSB through the planner and cleaning the faces up than sanding them making a rabbit on the back side and useing them as panels for the doors. I did a test on a piece I had around the shop I put some Watco natural on it, and I think it will be interesting shop doors. post-2926-0-71418200-1304456131_thumb.jpIf I don't like the proto type I'll just chuck it in the old burn pile.

I used some for making the walls and doors that cordon my shop off from the rest of the garage. Other than that maybe for internal shop use, not really for furniture though. Would make a good dust collection box provided you seal the edges well.

I built cabinets for my shop and all the face frames and drawer fronts are knotty pine, and I haven't made the doors yet I've been toying with the idea of running OSB through the planner and cleaning the faces up than sanding them making a rabbit on the back side and useing them as panels for the doors. I did a test on a piece I had around the shop I put some Watco natural on it, and I think it will be interesting shop doors. post-2926-0-71418200-1304456131_thumb.jpIf I don't like the proto type I'll just chuck it in the old burn pile.

That is what I did on my cabinets when I was just setting up my shop, I have OSB walls and it looked nice having the panels match. I have built new cabinetry and replaced all but one cabinet since then but there are friends and family around that have gotten my hand-me-downs and they are still very stable about 15yrs later.

Nate

HA now that I have some ideas bet I don't get any for a while:) Think I got a sheet buried in the shop some where though gonna dig it out when I find the time and experiment with it some. I have an assembly table that needs help might try my idea on that maybe with thiner strips. If I do will post results.

Yeah the planner knives would not like the resins very much!! I left the thickness alone on mine when I did it. I did use a small piece on my daughters dollhouse for the flooring in an area to make it look like a rug, ran it through the drum sander, stained it looks pretty cool.

Nate

Yeah the planner knives would not like the resins very much!! I left the thickness alone on mine when I did it. I did use a small piece on my daughters dollhouse for the flooring in an area to make it look like a rug, ran it through the drum sander, stained it looks pretty cool.

Nate

I agree that OSB might harm planner knives, but I keep old planner knives in a drawer in the shop(beacause I use them sometimes for removing finish off recycled boards, or if I suspect there might be metal that i missed in a board). It takes about 5 minutes to change blades, sure there are some ridges on the OSB when it comes out of the planner. A couple of seconds with a ROS and your golden. I was never implying that you use your newest planner blades, and as an added note the blades didn't seem worse for wear. Dave

And this has nothing to do with fine woodworking, but orinally the idea of running OSB through the planner came about 14-15 yrs ago my mom had just bought an older home and wanted me to do some ornamental garden areas, and walks. I needed some bender board the next morning I had a sheet of OSB ripped it into strips ran it through the planner(with old blades). It made excelent bender for concrete forms, and I got 112' LN FT out of one sheet. Once planned I thought the effect looked interesting, and some day I may do something with planned OSB.