Biscuit Joiner

I have a birthday coming up and my wife just hipped me to what she was planning on getting me because she needed help pick which one.

She has heard me mention wanting a biscuit joiner. We don't have a lot of money and wanna keep it under $200. So... no "get a domino" posts please.

It seems that many people don't like biscuits. Why? If you think this would be $200 spent poorly let me know why.

I want to use it for strengthening miters, glueing up a table top, and for edge banding.

Options, opinions?

Thanks,

Ben

If she is looking, make sure she gets the PC557, it is sweet.. The best one they make.. As for using it, or worth it, they do come in handy sometimes. I used it for trimming my shop counter tops with hardwood. I also plan on using them for attaching some face frames to some cabinets soon too. Haven't used them before for this, but gonna give it a try. And they are good for alignment purposes.

The party piece on the porter cable is the handle location. It gives control and confidence. I have never used the makita so I cannot comment on that specific tool. But I have never owned a bad makita tool. ever

I think there is a Freud. With the handle on the head. It is like a JS104 or something like that. Google for it I bet it is cheaper.

They are all the same basic design. Just an angle grinder motor with a wood blade and a fancy head. If you are going to use face frame biscuits that will require a different blade. I think the porter cable comes with both, but look for that.

I have a PC 557. It is a great B/J.

But to tell you the truth I dont use it a heck of a lot.

It sorts of sits on my shelf out f the way.

I started playing with it lately finding ways to use it.

You may not do what I do and may have lots of uses for one.

But as a alternative you might want to take a look at a Kreg Jig ILO of a BJ.

Just a suggestion. I used my Kreg Jig a heck of a lot.

I have the old style PC and several yrs ago got a heck of a deal on the newer style Frued, my Dad now has the PC.Both are good machines but I honestly don't use it very much. I did use it a bunch more when I was newer to the craft but now I prefer dowels to biscuts anyday, not as quick but I think it is much more substantial and a lot more precise. Just my 2 cents worth but I would take a self centering doweling jig over any biscut jointer-does a better job and it's a LOT cheaper. Most of the time when I go to the biscut jointer (which isn't very often) it's out of guilt that I don't use it or just because I want to play around. Some people will probably say that you would have to pry it from thier cold dead hands but I am just not one of them. Early happy B-Day and glad to see your wife is supporting your hobby, makes life a lot easier! Keep us posted.

Nate

What kind is it AJ? I'm having a hard time spending $200 on something that won't get used all that much.

It's the Ryobi JM81. (review: http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-platejointer2.pdf) Budget unit compared to some of the other one's. The great thing about this the sheet quickness of use. You put your 2 boards together, draw a line perpendicular to the joint line on both pieces, then line up the BJ with the line on each piece and make the cut. Get out the glue, hit up both faces and the biscuit and you're done. Makes simple butt joints or edge joints very quickly and pretty solid. I'd recommend one, even if it's for the occasional use.

This post came up because of AJ's recent reply. By now I assume you have the biscuit joiner or decided to go another direction. A few years ago my brother gave me his "used once" PC. I used it once to help align a table top glue up. They have their place for certain type operations I guess. I mostly make fine (to best of my ability) furniture. The few times I've been in situations where a biscuit joiner could be used I've opted for floating tenons (using router and shop-made plywood tenons) or splines (once again using router). Probably more work, but much more satisfying and feels more proper.

If you did go that route I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences. Or it you choose another direction for your birthday indulgences would be interested in the choice. Had my birthday last weekend and my love got me a set (six) Ashley Isles carving tools. A supplement to my initial set. I don't carve much, but they have proven handy for detailing and messing around.

enjoy

Wood magazine just did a review on the biscuit joiners. They recommend the Dewalt DW682K and the PC557. I have the Dewalt and it works great. I find the fact that it's a great tool to help in alignment of panels for glue ups. They don't actually add strength to the joints. In Wood mag. they also show some quick tips for the BS's

I love building fine furniture however, the boss in our house commissions a lot of cabinetry / built-ins which means I build a lot of plywood carcasses with face frames. I use the BJ to attach the FF to the carcass.

I have also used the BJ for:

on large panel glue ups to help with alignment.

on solid wood edging with mitered corners, I use to join / re-enforce the miter joints.

That's about it.

Is it worth $200 for a P-C? If you do a lot of cabinetry (plywood) work it comes in handy. Could even use it for carcass construction although I use dado joints for more strength.

For fine furniture work -- I wouldn't see a need.

I love this forum. Started this thread yesterday and already have a wealth of information.

I am the type of guy who takes weeks to buy a tool because of over-researching. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with researching I never buy the tool.

My wife just told me her intentions last night so I haven't had a lot of time to think it over yet. I knew if I came here you guys would make the desision easier.

I think if I do go BC I'll probably go with the PC or maybe the ryobi and talk my way into an extra tool with the savings.

Nate has me thinking dowel jig now. Would using dowels still work for face frames, edging and panel glue ups?

Can't imagine dowels wouldn't work for any of that.

Thanks for the help!

Most of my faceframes are M/T but I have done it several times with dowels as well. Cope and stick doors are another big area I use them, cope and stick are strong on their own but add 2 dowels and it increases the strength and makes aligning everything a lot easier. I started doing it several years ago when I had to make a bunch of doors that had several panels just to make it easier for the glueup, I like it so much if I am making a cope and stick door I never do it without the dowels. I guess you could use dowels for edge glue-ups but I prefer splines. As for panel glue-ups dowels work great. Do you have a friend that can loan you a biscuit jointer to see if you like it?? Also if you do get one and want to do a lot of face frames with it make sure you get one with the smaller blade to account for FF biscuits, let us know what you decide and good luck.

Nate

Both are better than one or the other. Thinner stock you can biscuit and thicker stuff you can dowel. Some stuff will be easier one way or the other. Having two good tools is better than one :)

This is the great thing about here is the many different perspectives, as far as the thinner stock and using biscuits I have found the opposite. I commonly use 1/4" dowels but also have 1/8" that I use for stock that is as thin as 3/8" , I just retrofitted a drilling bushing to fit my doweling jig. So many different ways to do things!

Nate

This is the great thing about here is the many different perspectives, as far as the thinner stock and using biscuits I have found the opposite. I commonly use 1/4" dowels but also have 1/8" that I use for stock that is as thin as 3/8" , I just retrofitted a drilling bushing to fit my doweling jig. So many different ways to do things!

Nate

Hahaha you are right Nate. I use mine lots at times and I also use dowels lots. Either can be used in most of the things I do with them. When I am doing lots of joints I like the ease of the biscuit joiner. I don't have a dowel jig so tend to use them on smaller stuff. You say potatoes I say potatoes???? doesn't work so well in print :) My point was having both will open up more doors. I think we could discuss the merits of both techniques until one of us expired of old age and we would still have our preferences LOL. I like dowels they work well I like Biscuits they work well. Is one better than the other? I don't think they are I think it makes more sense to use biscuits sometimes and dowels other times. A dowel jig is on my wish list I currently use the dowel centering transfer plugs they work fine but if I'm not careful they can lead to trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Craftsman detailing biscuit jointer and like the fact that it uses a tiny biscuit (can't remember the size) which works out ok on smaller stile and rail glue ups.

The great thing about using dowels is that when you go to glue a stile and rail together it goes together just right. The old doweling jigs work out great. I have seen a couple on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Box-Stanley-Doweling-No-59-Jig-Mint-tool-/200608370424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb530cef8

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-STANLEY-59-Doweling-JIG-Take-L-K-/370510661803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56442808ab