One Plane

CubsFan

So I'm primarily a power tool woodworker, but I've seen many places (especially watching Marc's videos) where hand planes are very useful. For instance, working on the dovetails on the wall hanging cabinet. I have the budget for maybe one hand plane (preferably a cheaper one :) ).

Given what I'll use it for, if I buy one plane, which one should I get?

Agree as well, get a good block plane, then follow-up with a jack plane. Depending on your budget, Lie-Nielsen makes a block plane that doubles as a rabbeting plane. I picked one of these up at one of their tool-events and have found it to be a great tool!

A block plane is really nice but I think first you need to know what you plan on doing with it. A lot of mainly power tool users want hand tools for helping fine tune joinery in which case a rabbeting block plane, shoulder plane, or router plane is going to help you the most. If you want it for odd's and ends, end grain planing, or to get your feet wet a block plane is great If you are trying to get away from sanding something like a #4 smoother is great or if you want to do some flattening and smoothing a #5 jack plane may be a great fit for you. There is a plane that will help you in every aspect of woodworking and make your time much more enjoyable we just need to know what direction you want to go. If it is joinery fine tuning you are after I would suggest a router plane. They are great for fine tuning tenons, leveling the bottom of your dado's, hinge mortises, and the list goes on and on. You can find them on places like Ebay for a very reasonable price and tuning them up is very easy. One thing to be ware of is this is a slippery slope!! No matter what you have planned keep asking and someone here will guide you in the right direction and if find one you are interested in feel free to ask for input before you buy because entering a new phase in woodworking can always seem overwhelming. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Nate