what to do with a 4" hole...

mjgreenwood

So I'm remodeling my basement. I've finished demo, foundation repairs and I'm slowly pulling old electrical out and framing. I've stumbled upon a problem.

The prior owner installed a cigar fan in the middle of the house. It vents out the front of the house right in the middle of the facebrick.

My tuckpointer can't find a match on the brick. It is an odd texture.

So If I can't replace the brick, my option is put a new fan in, or at least a vent cover that is full of spray foam.

So what kind of creative ideas for a 4 inch hole? Anything. It's centered on the front of the house so looks are important. Anything will be better than the banged up tin that's there now.

I liked to find a useful and creative way to plug this up.

Periscope. Or attach a funnel on the inside to yell at the pesky kids on the lawn. Use a scary ghostlike voice. Figure out a way to shoot ping pong balls through it with compressed air to shoot said kids in the back of the head. Maybe you can train a rodent to sneak in and out of there. Maybe have it steal some cash from the pesky kids and bring it back to you.

• Like 1

Start smoking cigars. :)

I live in an old house - built in 1927. Over the years there have been changes that have made or left holes in the brick. My suggestion is to find a brick that matches in color, you won't see the difference in texture from the street. Or if your really uptight about the appearance and have a spot in the back of the house that is hidden cut a couple of bricks out and use the new bricks in the back.