TV Table

Scott M

I've built several projects previously but this is my first origional design. It's also my first attempt at using Sketchup. One of the major criteria for this project was the I needed to get it into the basement which is accessed through a very narrow hallway and staircase. The table can be very easily knocked down and reassembled. The long lower strecher is connected to the shorter side stretchers with a through tennon and a brass pin. The top rails are connected to the legs with Miller dowels, the stepped dowel makes them easier to drive back out. For the cantelevered shelf supports I used a joint that I'm calling a wedged through half-lap joint. (I don't have them yet but I'm going to have glass shelfs made that will hold the DVR and PS3.)

When I went to the lumber dealer I hadn't yet decided on a species. I knew that I wanted the base to have a rustic timber framed look but that was all. While there I found some millrun Pecan with a lot of face checks and knew immediatley it was exactly what I wanted. After getting it home and milling it up I found one of the pieces had quite a bit of spalting, you can see it on the right hand side of the long stretcher. The top and accents are made out of Walnut.

Keeping with the rustic motiff the base is finished with BLO and wax. The top is finished with Waterlox origional and wax.

Low Entertainment Center.skp

post-3823-0-50227700-1307233067_thumb.jp

post-3823-0-68437300-1307233097_thumb.jp

post-3823-0-55251600-1307233125_thumb.jp

post-3823-0-20185500-1307233194_thumb.jp

I like the overall look. I really like that it is designed to be knock down. My first impression is that the legs could maybe have been made more out of square. All the other main elements of the base have either curvature or angles and I think bringing this through to the legs would add just bit more continuity to the piece. NICE job! Beautiful woods choices.

I agree with Vic, add some curve to the legs, other than that i think it looks great, thank you for posting the sketch up file , im going to show it to a buddy of mine , he loves this style furniture and will probably get me to make one. love the species choice too.

I like the overall look. I really like that it is designed to be knock down. My first impression is that the legs could maybe have been made more out of square. All the other main elements of the base have either curvature or angles and I think bringing this through to the legs would add just bit more continuity to the piece. NICE job! Beautiful woods choices.

Thanks Vic. It never even crossed my mind but after thinking about it for a while I agree. A taper or a gentle curve on the outside edge of the leg would have been really nice.

Thanks Vic. It never even crossed my mind but after thinking about it for a while I agree. A taper or a gentle curve on the outside edge of the leg would have been really nice.

I like the curve idea or a curved taper better, as the piece has a definite Asian feel to me.