First Commision

suiciedchild

This is a table for a buddy of mine, he asked me to make it to replace his Ikea table that he just couldn't wait to get rid of. The table is made from TigerWood aka Goncalo Alves. The back story of this is that me and my friend are both flooring installers. The stock from this project is all from an unused box of hardwood flooring left over from a job. While on the job he got to pick the individual boards that he wanted included in the table and left it up to me to choose thier placement. Another requirement of the table was that he didn't want any screws or nails used so everything was either dovetailed or doweled together. The added bonus, is that when you slide the drawer out, you can slide a latch underneath the top, releaseing it to slide over to reveal the hidden storage compartment for his firearm. I left the "microbevel" from the prefinished hardwood on the top to let it retain the "flooring" look. it is finished with 3 coats of shellac and 7 coats of a low gloss wipeing varnish.

i can only upload 2 at a time.

post-4665-0-34446200-1307291793_thumb.jp

post-4665-0-56206100-1307291887_thumb.jp

I really like the whole peice beautiful finish, it's real cool the way you made the hidden compartment, the way the top slides like a match box. Are the faux drawers just guides for the sliding top? I'd never heard of Tiger wood before very attractive. Also I like the detail at the bottom of the legs. Dave

The drawer ( only 1) is completely functional, but you need to pull open the drawer and reach inside to acsess to latch on the underside of the top, this way it can be locked and if bumped the top won't move. And gives actuall "non-secret" storage.