PM2000 - Riving Knife

Trevor Kernes

I bought a used PM2000 last week. After I got everything set up, I put my blade in and then disaster hit. The riving knife and blade do not line up. I tried calling the guy I bought it from . . . you guessed it, no answer. I don't think that it is hopeless. The saw is in great shape and everything functions correctly and is perfectly squared up. With my Forrest Woodworker II, it cuts like a warm knife through butter.

I have looked at the blown up image from the manual. It appears that the arbor is either too long (I have no idea why it would be this way), or the arbor isn't seated all the way in the pulley housing section. I tried putting a clamp (not a lot of tension), on it and it would not shift. I could try to force it a little more, but I am worried I may bust something in the housing. My only other idea is that the plate (arbor side) isn't thick enough causing the riving knife to be shifted to the left. If I insert two washers behind the plate, the riving knife lines up perfectly. I haven't run it like this for fear that there isn't enough support for the knife and it would shift and really cause some fireworks.

If someone has a few minutes, and you own a PM2000, can you snap some pics of the arbor/riving knife assembly for me? Maybe something isn't assembled correctly.

If all else fails, I am going to have a new plate machined to the correct thickness and call it good.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all have.

Trevor

I bought a used PM2000 last week. After I got everything set up, I put my blade in and then disaster hit. The riving knife and blade do not line up. I tried calling the guy I bought it from . . . you guessed it, no answer. I don't think that it is hopeless. The saw is in great shape and everything functions correctly and is perfectly squared up. With my Forrest Woodworker II, it cuts like a warm knife through butter.

I have looked at the blown up image from the manual. It appears that the arbor is either too long (I have no idea why it would be this way), or the arbor isn't seated all the way in the pulley housing section. I tried putting a clamp (not a lot of tension), on it and it would not shift. I could try to force it a little more, but I am worried I may bust something in the housing. My only other idea is that the plate (arbor side) isn't thick enough causing the riving knife to be shifted to the left. If I insert two washers behind the plate, the riving knife lines up perfectly. I haven't run it like this for fear that there isn't enough support for the knife and it would shift and really cause some fireworks.

If someone has a few minutes, and you own a PM2000, can you snap some pics of the arbor/riving knife assembly for me? Maybe something isn't assembled correctly.

If all else fails, I am going to have a new plate machined to the correct thickness and call it good.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all have.

Trevor

It might help if you posted some pics of what you're encountering. I'm sure there are a lot of folks here with that saw.

Trevor, I too purchased a PM2000 a few years ago. Good experience with it.

I couldn't really figure out what your photos showed.

But here are some pix of my unit, with and without the blade.

Seems like bending the riving knife arm would not be a big deal.

But if your arbor is not seated properly I would be very concerned.

hope these help you assess your situation.

post-357-0-74894500-1307375631_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-77802600-1307375632_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-61251800-1307375633_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-58454100-1307375634_thumb.jpg

Trevor, I'm not even sure what it's called, but it looks as if the arm from the arbor to the riving knife is bent. I have not idea what you can do abou that if it is the case.

Vic, I just noticed the number of posts you've made. Will we have a party when you reach 1,500?