SawStop 5hp for 3k. Worth it?

rydell

SawStop Options  

31 members have voted

1. 1. For around $3000, which would you get? A very lightly used 5HP Industrial SawStop or brand spankin new 3HP Professional model?

I’m currently in the market for a SawStop table saw. I was originally thinking about getting the contractor saw, or maybe even the 3hp professional saw, but I came across an opportunity to get a very lightly used 5hp Industrial single phase SawStop for 3k. It’s got cast iron wings, wheeled base, and 52” rails.

I’m a hobbyist woodworker and I do know that the 5HP is so much more than I would ever need power-wise. In fact, I’ve got a Ridgid 1.5hp TS3650 as my table saw now.

Looking around, it looks like I can get a new 3hp professional saw for around 3k, so the question is whether or not you think it’s worth it to pick up the used 5hp. What say you?

The 52" fence on the 3hp PCS will run you as much or maybe more. The PCS doesn't have cast wings. The blade guard on the PCS has better dust collection than the ICS, but you can buy the new guard from SawStop effectively negating that difference.

Is it single-phase? If not, I'd think more unless you already have a static or rotary phase converter; that would add a lot.

I'd jump on it. Nice score.

Here are my thoughts...

• figure out what options you want, and then price out each model with those options.
  • don't pay for options you don't want (like 5HP vs 3HP)
  • as a rule of thumb, I won't pay more than 50% of the "new" price for a unit without a warranty. But there are exceptions.
  • do you have room for 52" rails? Really? Did you draw a shop layout ?
  • the way I see it, a complicated tool is most likely to need service when it is disassembled, moved to a new location, and re-assembled.

Well, personally I like buying new to get warrantees and support should I need it. Also, I like to damage my own tools not repair other folks damage :)

I think you really have to look at what you are doing and decide if you will ever need that 5HP and decide if the power requirements are workable for you in order to gain that extra power (13A vs 20.5A).

BTW, I'm using a TS3650 as well and while I have things I'd like to have different on anything I'd get new, I've been pretty happy with the power. I think a 3hp motor would be more then sufficient for anything I do.

-Jim

When I think of saw HP, I think about my Dad's custom cabinet shop he ran for 40 years. He had saws that ranged from a 1HP Unisaw up to a 5HP table saw that we used to cut up sheet goods, not because it needed the HP, but it had a big table. The work horse of the shop was the 1HP Unisaw. It ran most of the day, cutting everything else we needed to produce custom cabinets.

When I decided to replace my old table saw with a SawStop, I went with the contractor saw (they didn't have the 1.75HP PCS yet), 3HP was more than I ever would need. It has all the power I've needed, cutting 8/4 red oak. All I need to do is watch feed rate because I'm on the same circuit as the freezer.

You might want to call SawStop to see if there is a way to tell how many times a brake has fired on a saw. It may not have been used very long, but they might have fired the brake over and over again (a demo saw?). Also ask the seller about the color of the brake. Clear = older saw, blue = new.

Good luck,

Doug

Full disclosure -- I own a 3PH PCS. Regarding case iron wings -- that is what mine came with -- i was not even aware that the PCS could be purchased with the stamped steel wings. I know the contractors saw has that option.

That said, if you have the electrical service for a 5HP unit, I would say 3K for the industrial saw is a steal. These things are solidly made so lightly used should be no problem. But I base this solely on the price. I believe my 3PH PCS was about $3400 after taxes and dado cartridge. For the average woodworker, 3PH is more than enough.

The larger table is nice on the industrial unit -- more in line with Powermatic or the Delta Unisaw. The PCS table is the same size as their contractors saw.

Just my opinion.

The other thing to ask yourself is what you use a table saw for? I think it's hard to take "generic" advice on tool selections without knowing what you'll be using it for. If you will be ripping lots of 8/4 maple stock, and your shop is 1000+ SF, then the 5HP saw makes a lot of sense. Or if you cut a lot of sheet goods and need a huge table surface it could also be the right choice. I have found that the more furniture I build, the less I use my table saw for anything but joinery (dados, tenons, crosscuts, etc). In some ways, I wish I had a smaller saw so I could fit something like an 18" BS in my shop. So decide what you need a TS for, and plan from that. In the US, we have a tendency to build our shops around a TS, but I've learned over time that for me that was a flawed principle. Of course if the deal you'd get on the 5 HP saw is so good that you could likely resell it for $500 more, you might be able to make a nice profit on it to put toward the 3HP model.

It’s no secret that I’m a huge SawStop fan. I’ve had the 3HP Industrial cabinet saw for over 4 years now and if you wanted it you’d have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I’ve moved mine three times, once stored it for 4 months while I awaited my new shop. Not only did the saw not have any problems, it didn’t even come out of tune. This saw is so robust, you can basically tune it once for life.

If you have the room you cannot go wrong with the SawStop Industrial Cabinet saw. You may not need 5HP, but since most 220 circuits are 40 Amp, there’s no real drawback I can see to the extra horses.

If the saw looks to be in good shape, I’d jump at it. Even if the warranty is not transferable, it has been my experience that SawStop’s customer service is second to none. So again fee advice is worth what you pay for it, but if you have the space and the cash, it seems like a great deal…. Jump at it!

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for the delay here. I was going to snag the Craigslist saw, but it took me a little longer to put the 3k together than I'd have hoped and the saw ended up selling after being listed for about a month. In light of that, I just got back from my local Woodcraft a couple hours ago with a shiny new 3hp PCS SawStop w/ integrated mobile base. I can't wait to get this beast set up!

Cool, you'll like it.

Looking at your avatar and location, I'm moving 3 miles north of my house to Tempe is you have to wear that up there! laugh.gif

Haha, I wish I could bust out that hat down here! That was taken up on the rim north of Payson. As far as the saw, I picked it up this last Friday and started assembling it last night. As everyone said, the manual and assembly instructions are second-to-none. Can't wait to get it fired up!