Who owns who

TheNehlsEnd

I was wondering who owns who in the tool manufacturing game and there sister companies. I use to have a list, but that was so long ago.

Does anyone know where I could find a current list or posting of the manufactures and who owns them?

Don't know of a list, but here's what I know from working in a retail woodworking outlet:

Walter Meier - Jet, Powermatic & Wilton

Stanley owns Black & Decker which also manufactures Porter Cable, DeWalt and, until recently, Delta. Delta is now owned by a Taiwanese outfit named Tomy.

Allen's got it right as far as I know. Ridgid, Milwaukee and Ryobi are also owned by the same parent company, I think, but I haven't followed the ownership game for a while so I'm not 100% sure.

Milwaukee and Ryobi are indeed owned by TTI/OWT but not RIDGID. The RIDGID trademark is licensed to TTI/OWT for the purpose of manufacturing and sale certain power tools but ownership of the Trademark was and still is retained by Emerson/Ridge Tool. It's a very confusing situation at time as the TTI/OWT produced tools are really not affiliated with the Emerson/Ridge Tool produced tools. Both are badged with the RIDGID logo but they do have different warranties. The TTI/OWT tools also have the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement while the Emerson/Ridge Tool tools do not. Confused yet??

Craftsman does bid builds. They usually do yearly contracts but that isn't set in stone. At any given time they could have a couple different companies building several different sku's of the same type of tool so you can't even say all miter saws are built by company A. They also have many different products that are built only for them and are sometimes of cheaper quality than the products that the builder may normally produce just to stay in that small profit margin area.

Nate