Design and layout software ?

Dave F

Hi, well you could use sketch up for 3d modeling, and it's free unless you want the sketch up pro. But that won't make you a cut list unless there is a plug-in available for it. I actually use solidworks 2010 and I can get the cut list. Actually here in my city (torreon, Mexico) we have a big wood store and they have a webpage, and they have a cut list optimizer but it's actually for sheetgoods which is the hardest to figure out when you're planning the cut list and it is a bless, and it gives you the option to let one of the pieces turn if you don't really care about the grain orientation, but if you do, then leave the box unchecked. It's in spanish and in millimiters that may be a drawback but if you need some translation I can sure help you out.

Here's the link, I believe that you don't even have to register. Right now it says that the server is too busy, but if the link doesn't work let me know!.

Hope it helps.

Walter Wolf

I've been using google sketchup for about 18mths now & i just love it. Once u get the hang of the different tools its a dream to work with. Now days i start most of my projects on sketchup, it gives me something to do of an evening when there's nothing of interest on the TV.

Google SketchUp is great for LOTS of stuff. The only thing I have found it lacking is the abstract, the irregular, and the solid freaky curves. When you get to there is it possible, but highly difficult and frustrating. I know there may be better stuff out there but then you have to consider price.

LQQK

Google Sketchup is a really good way to start. If you like it and want to upgrade to the pro version it comes with layout. I can't say enough about the benefits of the Layout program. It has helped me in more ways that I ever could have imagined. You will be able to make templates and professional drawings with ease. The learning curve is minimal compared to other CAD like software. Check out the forums at: SketchUcation

You'll probably notice that most woodworker (especially on these forums) use SketchUp.

SketchUp is free (after google bought it and made a free version of it), it is rather intuitive, and the learning curve is not too bad compared to other modeling applications. If you are used to other CAD programs there will be a few things that will require some getting used to, but nothing to severe. for it being free, it is a fantastic software.

Another thing that was mentioned are the plugins. there is a huge list of plugins available for SketchUp, some free, others at decent prices, and they all add a lot of functionality and automation to the application itself.

For Cutlists - you can use the following plugin which seems to work fantastic for many woodworkers:

http://steveracz.com/joomla/content/view/45/1/

If you have any question about SU, PM me - I'd be more than happy to help out in any way I can.

I will also pile onto the list of folks who recommend SketchUp. The price is right, and you can get as detailed and accurate as you have the patience for. There are a lot of places to learn how to use SketchUp. One good site is SketchUCation, but for a woodworkers perspective check out Bob Lang's stuff either at www.popularwoodworking.com or www.craftsmanplans.com.

The cutlist plugin is OK, but really requires advanced modeling for everything to be compatible and get a good cutlist. If you don't use components, proper material names with correct keywords (Ex: Plywood) it really will go wacky on you. The other limitation is that it has very few sizes for raw lumber. You have to be willing to use 4x8 sheets of plywood - no 5x5 Baltic Birch. And lumber is limited to certain widths (6", 8", etc) in 2 foot increments. For a really robust cutlist tool, check out www.cutlistplus.com. It's a separate program but allows you to define the raw stock down to the gnat's behind - exactly what may be in your lumber rack.

I don't know how good it is, but there's a free Ruby Script called Tomatoes for Sketchup (get it?) that enables building libraries of cabinets, etc, and cut lists. Check out the SU forums, especially the Ruby Script one, to find out what else you can do with the program.

Best,

Jimbo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the free version of SketchUp sufficient for the average woodworker?

Absolutely, yes. My standard guideline is that modeling is the same with both the free and Pro versions of SketchUp. There are a couple exceptions to this rule - the Pro offers dynamic components, and the new solid modeling tools in version 8. But these are not needed by most woodworking modelers. The main benefit of the Pro version is that it allows you to do more with your models once they are built. Exporting to other software, publishing plans as an architect, etc. are easier with some of the advanced tools in the Pro version.

The most complex model that can be built in the Pro version can also be made in the free version. Start with the free version. Unless you work in it 8 hours a day for a living, you won't notice the difference.

There are some serious problems with cut list generator programs I've seen. They assume all boards or sheet goods are the same. That's an issue for me, one of the design factors is the different grain patterns and how they're used. The times I use sheet goods, I may only use 1/2 to 2/3 of a sheet in a project because only that much of a sheet has grain that's appropriate for the placement or use in any given project. Grain patterns are even more variable in solid stock. Straight grain, cathedral grain or quarter sawn are all selected for appearance, stability or even workability. Computer cut lists just don't take this into account.

• 3 weeks later...

There are some serious problems with cut list generator programs I've seen. They assume all boards or sheet goods are the same. That's an issue for me, one of the design factors is the different grain patterns and how they're used. The times I use sheet goods, I may only use 1/2 to 2/3 of a sheet in a project because only that much of a sheet has grain that's appropriate for the placement or use in any given project. Grain patterns are even more variable in solid stock. Straight grain, cathedral grain or quarter sawn are all selected for appearance, stability or even workability. Computer cut lists just don't take this into account.

I have used another program called Cutlist Plus that allows you to enter the dimensions of your available stock. You can enter in partial sheets of plywood and if I recall correctly there is a setting that "clears out the scrap bin" before cutting into a new sheet if possible.