Grizzly G0715P vs. Ridgid R4512, need some opinions

newbiewoodworker

As many of you might have seen, in the WWer chat, I have asked quite a few of you your opionions, as to whether the Grizzly is that much better than the Ridgid.

I am currently in the process of buying a table saw, having been putting it off for a year now. This year I had massive hour cutbacks at work(In the end, I terminated my employment because it got to the point of not being worth it) and as a result my budget didnt quite near what I thought it would be.

My original plan was to get the Grizzly, its a nice looking saw, very much like a cabinet saw, granted that it has table mounted trunnions, its lighter, and I'm sure some other things. However now, I am faced with the decision: I can really try and stretch some pennies, and get the saw, but I probably won't be doing much woodworking if I can't afford it.

My alternative idea, is the Ridgid. Reviews are generally positive, the weight certainly indicates it definitely has some metal in it. However I keep hearing horror stories of the "pinch fences" vs the T lock style. I also noticed that the fence itself is definately different; It doesn't seem to have the usual UHMW sides, but rather all metal, and it seems much narrower.

---I also noticed that it seems to have sheet metal wings. Is that a major problem?

-----Furthermore can anybody comment on the riving knife/guard. That is one aspect I like about the grizzly. The guard seems to cover more of the blade, and the riving knife is noticeably metal, not to mention it has a splitter too. The riving knife portion is that which I am more concerned for; the guard will probably find its way into a draw somewhere, since I personally dislike them(the need to use more force, it gets in the way, etc.

I realize it seems like I have alot of concerns with the ridgid, however, I do seem to be leaning most towards it. However, I do want to get the most opinions possible, to save any "Crap that was a better deal/saw" moments after buying it.

Other suggestions are welcomed. My budget as it stands is +/- $700.

Thank you for your time,

Brendan

Brendan - I spotted a modified R4512 on another forum that might have some appeal. The owner replaced the stock fence on the R4512 with a nicer steel Delta T2 (~ $150 from Tools-plus), and upgraded the wings with some laminated material. There's nothing wrong with steel wings, but solid cast iron wings are undoubtedly nicer...the laminated wings appear to be a decent and inexpensive compromise. I've also read that the guts of the R4512 and the G0715P are similar mechanisms.

4512.jpg

Many thanks Knot. Ahh the innards are the same, then that definitely helps secure my footing there with the idea of getting the Ridgid. I never even thought of laminate wings. A few pieces of 3/4 MDF laminated with Formica would probably do the trick, MDF certainly isn't light.

---If I get it, hen I probably will upgrade the fence, when budget permits. Is there a real difference between the Delta T2 and the Biesmier(i butchered that I know.) I mean the Bis is about $50 more, but it seems most saws use a form of one. Another one that caught my eye was the ShopFox.

I don't know that the guts are "the same", but have read that they're pretty similar, and I know that the exploded pics in the manuals look similar.

The T2 is sort of a "Biese Lite"....both steel t-square designs, but the T2 has lighter tubing....very nice fence for $150.

I don't have any experience with either model, but thought I would chime in on value of the riving knife. While I can't place a dollar number on its value to you, I sure do appreciate it. I began life with a contractor's type saw. Was a great way to get me going. A few years ago I bought a like-new, used cabinet saw (PM2000). Almost daily the riving knife makes me smile. It is there, it is effective, doesn't get in the way and never needs fussing with. I remove it when using 8" dado set, but think that is only time it comes off.

My previous table saw had a splitter which has benefit, but never really gave me peace of mind or felt clean.

I hope, which ever way you go, that all works well for you and you continue to enjoy the process.

• 4 weeks later...