Dons shop

dwacker

WOW are those pics a thing of beauty!! The only thing is your Grizzly DC looks a little out of place in the sea of yellow!! Also looks like you could land a plane on your jointer. Now you get to start waxing all your cast iron huh! So far do you seem pleased with all the tools? Are you going to run ductwork right away or wait till you are sure about where you want all your tools? Glad things are coming together nicely for you.

BAS_setshaper.jpg

Dave and PBmaster, as for the shaper it is basically like a router table on steroids. They use cutters like these

and many have the option of also using router bits and tilting to give more options for molding profiles.

Nate

WOW are those pics a thing of beauty!! The only thing is your Grizzly DC looks a little out of place in the sea of yellow!! Also looks like you could land a plane on your jointer. Now you get to start waxing all your cast iron huh! So far do you seem pleased with all the tools? Are you going to run ductwork right away or wait till you are sure about where you want all your tools?

Nate

Nate,

No more dust collector in the shop. We spend the last couple days fighting it to get it mounted outside on the back wall. That ended up being quite the job getting it hoisted up 12ft in the air at almost 375 lbs and bolted to the wall. The duct work was an utter flop. I put in the economy 24g stuff, It looked great until I fired it up and started playing with blast gates admiring my work. Then all the sudden we thought the collector exploded until I looked up and found all the duct work sucked flat. No sense in crying over spilled milk we ran down to the depot and got a bunch of pvc, so it is what it is. Funny the first thing the wife said was the "dust collector doesn't match" All the duct is in the attic space and the inlet for the cyclone goes right through the gable end into the attic.

Don

Nate,

No more dust collector in the shop. We spend the last couple days fighting it to get it mounted outside on the back wall. That ended up being quite the job getting it hoisted up 12ft in the air at almost 375 lbs and bolted to the wall. The duct work was an utter flop. I put in the economy 24g stuff, It looked great until I fired it up and started playing with blast gates admiring my work. Then all the sudden we thought the collector exploded until I looked up and found all the duct work sucked flat. No sense in crying over spilled milk we ran down to the depot and got a bunch of pvc, so it is what it is. Funny the first thing the wife said was the "dust collector doesn't match" All the duct is in the attic space and the inlet for the cyclone goes right through the gable end into the attic.

Don

i love your shop but i hate you....................................not right that you have everything i want (Sigh) oh well glad you have the bare bones down and can start playing with your new shop

I'm in love. I am curious though why the drum sander is so close to the corner of the shop?

It has 49" of in-feed which is plenty for the work I do, cabinet doors and face frame stock is usually about all that need to go through. For larger table tops its cheaper to use the vocational school. They have a 60" wide belt and $15 a few times a year is much cheaper than trying to maintain a big sander in a one man shop.

Don

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the first round of ducting, money wise that sucks but you now have some cool bragging rights about your powerful DC! I ran pvc ducting in my shop about 8 or nine 9 yrs ago and have been very pleased. That is nice not having the DC in the main shop, I built a closet in mine for it and it is a lot nicer that hearing it all the time. I am glad to hear you are up and running now, whats the first project in the new shop?

Nate

I am glad to hear you are up and running now, whats the first project in the new shop?

Ive got a bunch of small kitchens for a 200 unit apartment complex that is being redone. The contractor is doing one unit at a time so makes it easy on me. I did one yesterday and may do another one tomorrow. I just build the cabinets and the contractor finishes and installs so quick and easy days worth of work.

Really need to spend the weekend making some drawers for the shop. Its hard to stay organized cramming everything in those little cabinets and cardboard boxes.

Don

• Like 1

Don the shop is looking great good to see things are working out for the best. I see in your outfeed table pictures that you have the Kreg pocket hole unit I have to ask how is it? is it worth the investment?

Mark

It is if you do alot of face frames like kitchen cabinets. There is no mess and they cut cleaner than regular kreg jigs. All the shaving go into the metal box in a neat little pile that can be sucked out every now and then. The bit design is quite abit different so it makes for a cleaner hole and of course many times faster. I have added a kreg keyhole plate to my assembly / outfeed table that sure makes the whole process go much smoother, All in all Id say it was a good choice. I had a castle prior to the kreg and it was much nicer but the kreg does get the job done real quick for less money.

Don

i have to know are yhou paying for this or is insurance? because im tempted to set my tools on fire as well just so i can get lots of new toys

Ive worked for everything i own. I paid for everything i lost. Light your stuff on fire you dont gain more than you had, first you have to EARN it. Im down more than 12k in this ordeal and find it odd that folks think you got things handed to you. If you want nice stuff work for it.

Don

Don, a tip from a photographer. When using a wide angle lens, don't be tempted to tip the front of the camera down, keep the camera and lens on the horizontal plane. Crop the top off afterwards or lower your vantage point. This will keep all of your verticle lines as they should be instead of leaning away as they approach the top of the image. ;) I try to spot something on the far wall that I know to be my eye level. This helps heaps.

It must be rough to have this be seen as a hand out. Like you said insurance just replaced what you had, nothing more. You earned it and lost it, with what you pay a month for coverage it is only right you get re-embursed, you do if your car gets totaled but then it is just going and buying a new car-not waiting, stressing, and then having to rebuild this area of your life. I am glad things are going your way, you have been through hell with this, no easy task. The thought of loosing my shop is heartbreaking and no shiny tools would make me want to go through it. I would like to thank you again for warning me of the possibility and double checking my insurance coverage. Glad you are making sawdust again. Are you satisfied with your new tools since you have had a chance to use them, any features that you really enjoy that you didn't have before?

Don, a tip from a photographer. When using a wide angle lens, don't be tempted to tip the front of the camera down, keep the camera and lens on the horizontal plane. Crop the top off afterwards or lower your vantage point. This will keep all of your verticle lines as they should be instead of leaning away as they approach the top of the image. ;) I try to spot something on the far wall that I know to be my eye level. This helps heaps.

I just use a little point and shoot camera, hold the thing up and shoot. :) Its not really a wide angle lens as it appears. The camera just shoots a wide aspect ratio 19:9.

Don

Are you satisfied with your new tools since you have had a chance to use them, any features that you really enjoy that you didn't have before?

Im not sure yet. All Ive done is two little kitchens and the workflow seems to go ok. Im really lacking in a lot of ways in comparison to how it used to be. My grandson started a little Peruvian Walnut step stool this week-end and we notice that they changed the design on the Festool Domino. At 7 even he noticed that its sort of a pain to not have the metal pins. Each job brings a new list of things I forgot to buy hopefully that will slow down.

Don

Ive worked for everything i own. I paid for everything i lost. Light your stuff on fire you dont gain more than you had, first you have to EARN it. Im down more than 12k in this ordeal and find it odd that folks think you got things handed to you. If you want nice stuff work for it.

Don

Don. A shame that people look for the shortcuts in life. Mostly I think that comes with youth and everything ahead looks insurmountable to them. Patience and one step at a time, all will come eventually.

i asumed that you had all those tools to start with but if they are insured then the insurance would kick over alot of money at one time. alot of home owners insurance covers the loss of garage tools. i would never burn any of my tools their my babies i was just making a joke. there is just a huge difference from buying all the tools on sale over the years and then droping a big pile of cash in a weekend. if you bought it all yourself then you probably spend 50k-80k on the new garage as well as the tools that you had in there. if you had insurance then ya i can see spending 12k.