Dons shop

dwacker

Very exciting stuff Don. Are you going to paint the floor of leave bare concrete? I am about to paint my floor for the main reason of sealing the concrete to stop any concrete dust entering the shop. At present, the concrete dust does come up and is super fine, issues with vac and sweeping.

I did my shop floor shortly after the epoxy systems came out and was VERY disappointed. After some long talks with them they came to the conclusion that it must have been caused from it being stored in a environment that was too cold before it had gotten to me or a problem with the batches not mixing right. It looked great until it dried and then it almost looked like there were stripes in it. Even after applying a second coat it still showed through. They refunded me the total amount and were very apologetic but that didn't fix my floor. In the end I got some very good cement floor paint and covered it. I am sure many things have changed since I did mine but I do know one other guy that did his basement and had the same problem.

As for the tools, I am glad to hear things are moving forward for you. Are you waiting for the drywall and insulation because of money or impatientness? If it is the latter of the two you may want to rethink it as it is a real pain after everything is in place. I waited to sheet my ceiling because of money and when it came time to do it I would say it tripled my time and frustration. In the end I am very pleased but it would have been easier if I would have done it right away, just a thought. Were you able to get a discount on your tools?? Keep us posted, you are almost there!!

Nate

The paint I have purchased is not a 2 part mix. It is designed for concrete and does have some filling capabilities. I purchased the type that was recommended to me by my painter who has been painting houses for me since 1991. He is a fantastic tradesman and also a very descent chap. If it all turns to mud, I will report back. :)

As for the tools, I am glad to hear things are moving forward for you. Are you waiting for the drywall and insulation because of money or impatientness? If it is the latter of the two you may want to rethink it as it is a real pain after everything is in place. I waited to sheet my ceiling because of money and when it came time to do it I would say it tripled my time and frustration. In the end I am very pleased but it would have been easier if I would have done it right away, just a thought. Were you able to get a discount on your tools?? Keep us posted, you are almost there!!

Nate

I'm waiting on drywall because I'm out of time. Ive got work piling up and am two months behind there comes a point that Ive got to earn some money instead of vacationing. No not really a discount. CPO Powermatic had a misprint on their website with the 12" jointer and drum sander priced before the September 1st increase so they honored that price instead of a bulk tool discount. So basically it worked with me getting the power feeder for free. Cant really complain it was much better than any other dealer was willing to offer.

I'm not going to paint the floor, I know a lot of people with painted floors and they are trashed. I had Pac air automation's come out to give me the real scoop on the dust collection duct. and test the cyclone at 10ft. That was a disappointment but life goes on. The guy said every brand he ever tested did not perform to factory specs so I am going to live with it. They gave me a nice little duct work plan for my tools and a shopping list so that is the project of the week while waiting for the final inspection.

Don

I've heard that "factory spec" or a dust collector is measured with no duct, no bag, no filter, no cyclone, no inlet, no outlet, no nothing that could possibly reduce air flow.

Not really true. Its done fully assembled, probe located 1.5x the duct diameter away from the intake with a duct length 10x the duct diameter. Now thats standard that most claim to use. The problem is they fall on their face as soon as you get a few more feet of duct. Basicly means you need twice or three times the dust collector if you go by the specs.

Don

• Like 1

Glad to see everything is coming together!. How long before your making sawdust? I would have to think that even so it's been on your mind nonstop you are still going to have overlooked something (like a shop built-jig) that will stop you in your tracks and cause frusteration but the fact that the end is near has to be taking a load off your mind. Are there still shop appliances that need to be built before you get back to work, like a bench, storage cabinets, or lumber racks? How are the house projects coming along? I know I am not alone on this but I wanted to say thanks for really opening my eyes on the potential dangers that we face, very sorry it had to be at your expense.

Nate

Glad to see everything is coming together!. How long before your making sawdust? I would have to think that even so it's been on your mind nonstop you are still going to have overlooked something (like a shop built-jig) that will stop you in your tracks and cause frusteration but the fact that the end is near has to be taking a load off your mind. Are there still shop appliances that need to be built before you get back to work, like a bench, storage cabinets, or lumber racks? How are the house projects coming along? I know I am not alone on this but I wanted to say thanks for really opening my eyes on the potential dangers that we face, very sorry it had to be at your expense.

Nate

Nate,

The house is coming along. Ended up hiring a contractor to reside the gables. I got up there and found the barge boards and belly rotten, the wife really didn't feel like I needed to be up on the ladder. Our roof is real steep probably better than 45% so a man lift is probably the best way anyways. The weather head is stabilized on the the barge board on one side so the power line is going to have to be dropped.

The first thing that needs to be made I guess would be a crosscut sled so I can build a place to get the small power tools off the ground. The out feed will be large enough to be used as an assembly table. At this time it will just be a thick top with steel legs and supports. I'm not much on traditional workbenches and use a lot of sheet goods, so needs to be large enough to rip full sheets. Probably just cover the top with black Formica to match the saw. Once that's done I think I can at least limp along and deal with the shortcomings as they pop up. I'll probably set up the saw tomorrow then weld up the up the out feed if all goes as planned. The drum sander has a nice sized sealed steel cabinet in the base so Im thinking it will be a decent place to store finishing supplies. I was planning a job yesterday and needed someone to slap me. I forgot to order clamps, made a nice list but never placed the order. Got the Kreg machine and forgot to order square drive bits and screws. So im pretty sure there is plenty more that I forgot.

Don

At least your getting to the small stuff now and past the whole "roof over your head" section! Glad your long rough road is nearing its destination. Keep us posted.

Nate

Thanks, today is the day Ive been waiting for. The trucking company called and my buddy the trained ape is taking the day off work to give me a hand.

Don