Dons shop

dwacker

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps your first project should be a name plaque for your new shop. I'm leaning towards "Phoenix," for the obvious reasons.

and I noticed that char pattern TexFire pointed out... rather interesting. It appeared the studs caught fire behind the wall before the tools, which is better than the other way around, i guess.

And I'm glad to hear you had such quick turn around on the rebuild permits. My aunt and uncle had to wait over three years for their demolition permit from Katrina, and the recovery stage was allowed after the permit was authorized. Needless to say, there was not much left to salvage after that point.

Are they rebuilding the shop to your standards or to a generic plan? I ask because it looks like they are building a garage rather than a dedicated work shop. (not that we can't use garages as workshops, but if they are set up as workshops, they take things like insulation, single bay doors - or even just one bay door, and wiring into play.)

Are they rebuilding the shop to your standards or to a generic plan? I ask because it looks like they are building a garage rather than a dedicated work shop. (not that we can't use garages as workshops, but if they are set up as workshops, they take things like insulation, single bay doors - or even just one bay door, and wiring into play.)

Actually its a little of both. We went with a stand alone garage design to be practical and retain the resale value of our home. Im getting up there in years need to think about my wife and or kids needing to sell the place after I am gone. I also laid a parking pad which helps with the resale value but is really just a place for my grandson to play basketball. The door is just 16' insulated garage door. The roof pitch is a little higher than the average to attempt to match the extreme pitch on the old house. The electrical is 100 amp service and is basically being wired to the equipment that I have penciled in for replacement. There will be a total of 12 220v outlets some 30A and some 50A. The cyclone will be mounted on the back of the building up high with a dedicated breaker and be piped (metal pipe) into the attic before insulation gets blown in. The drywall I am going to do myself after the dust collection is piped and the equipment is in its permanent spots. Might need to move an outlet or two. The attic will have blow in insulation and the walls will have a plain old fiberglass. Ive worked out of basically the same size shop for two decades so saw no need to make any big changes. Its always been a tight squeeze but that really doesnt bother me to much since the commute to work is only 25ft.

Don

• Like 1

So great to see the progress. Are there any big changes in the layout from the way you have worked for so long?

Nate

Really not sure yet. Right now things are still up in the air. I may downsize some equipment but dont really want to do that. The only real big change will be a good dust collection system. Ive always worked in a dusty shop and thought I would take the opportunity to install a nice system and keep things clean. I had a little 2hp cyclone and and a 2hp bag system before and never plumbed them just ran a mess of 4" hoses. This time I'm going to try a 3hp cyclone and run metal duct in the attic with a drop for each machine. The electrician is still working on the shop and should be done this week. We ended up having a new panel installed at the house which opened up another can of worms. Now that the process has drug on for to long Powermatic decided to take a big price increase so I'm working with woodcraft to negociate a discount but dont know if that is going to happen. Honestly the excitement has worn off and I'd really just like to get back to work.

Don

yaye and paid for? wow that is a big drop in the bucket even if it was paid for by your home owners insurance.

Ya gotta pay for them before they will deliver them. I have to give a thumbs up to CPO powermatic and roadrunner freight. The PM order is 3 days ahead of schedule. Grizzly is on the ball with the dust collector and Woodcraft shipped the small stuff faster than I have ever seen from them. I went up to Woodcraft this past weekend to take advantage of a big sale event. Got a bunch of routers and the Appolo hvlp so at least have something to play with.

Got some rubber mats so I can stand on to stare aimlessly at the blue tape tools, while waiting for delivery.

menards has mats for 7.00 dollers with a 7.14 rebait. and what sale does woodcraft have im always inturested in cheaper prices

All sorts of stuff most of the store was 10% off which for us is a wash with sales tax. I walked out with a half dozen routers, a couple sanders, and a 4 stage HVLP and saved a few hundred bucks. Made it worth the hour long drive each way.

Don