corner shelf

tdale51@yahoo.com

This is my first post for critiques so please be gentle but truthful. I mad this corner shelf for my wife to put her decorative plates on. It's made of cherry and each shelf has a 1 inch strip of spalted maple in it. I really thought there would be more contrast between the two woods, maybe as the cherry ages it'll show up.post-5459-0-70633900-1315781484_thumb.jppost-5459-0-50374400-1315781487_thumb.jp The bottom shelf measures 20" by 20" and the top measures 12 by 12. Its finished with three coats of Minwax Polycrylic water based finish sanded with 220 between coats.

i like the simple build of it but its does not have a great flow to it i dont know where to look. when i build stuff i think if it with the same rules as painting. your eye should never rest on one spot for too long. but instead should flow through out the piece. your eyes travel up the verticals and then fly off into the nothing ness. when you look the shelves your eyes follows the maple strips strait off the shelf. the oposing curves on the shelves where one side goes in and the other shelfs on same side goes out conflict with each other. here is how i would have done it taken a bunch of cardboard and cut it out like the shelf and looked at it to see if it was pleasing to the eye and what you could do different.

i would have make the virtical supports flush with the sides of the shelves and stoped them at the top shelf. the maple strip i would have left off or had it following the curve of the shelf (remember lights jump out darks sink in) that way when the charry darkens the lighter maple would look like its coming farther out into the room. and the shelves i would have made more uniform the curves all on one side or have it bowed out in middle and flaired towards the supports on the end. this is just me and ultimatly you can just say stuff it and make it the way you want to but im going off of desighn rules from school that are intended to bring out a pleasing or emotional response.

Ya know, several people have asked about the verticals. I'll have to put up pics of how it looks loaded down with my wife's decorative plates. Makes it make more sense. Right now I'm using my phone and I'm not as smart as it is so I don't know how to upload pics ill have to wait till I can get on the computer.