Better Tablesaw "Upgrade/Replacement"

AaronTallB

I recently bought several pieces of equipment from a neighborhood email newsletter. One of the pieces was a 10 year old Grizzly 10" Cabinet Saw, others were 18" Bandsaw, stationary belt sander, scrollsaw, 6" jointer, 13" benchtop planer, and 1HP Dust Collection. Historically, I've been known to save and spend as much money as I need to to have what I deem as the best possible tools. This time I bought a package as I got what I felt was a good deal, and would get me working quickly rather than waiting to accumulate the nicest tools out there. That being said, by standard nature is fighting back with me. This tablesaw, while it has plenty enough power for most tasks I'd be throwing at it, has bad ergonomics (switch location), and a horrible fence. I'm sure I can fix the switch location issue, I just haven't addressed it yet. Okay question is this:

Should I spend $300-$500 dollars and get a Shop Fox or Biesemeyer Fence System to replace the shoddy fence on the saw?

Should I sell the saw via craigslist and use that money plus the money I'd spend on the fence to buy a used Unisaw for $1k or so?

Should I sell the saw via craigslist and use that money towards a newer Grizzley 1023 with the fence I could tolerate for $1.4k or so?

Those are the options as I see them based on my household budget and continued stability of my marriage. Please no suggestions about going and dropping $2.5-3.5k on a Sawstop.

Aaron

if the saw is in good condition i would just go with buying a new fence i have been told delta sells a prity good system. and 10 year old saw is prity good you probably wont get a much better deal of machine quality wise i dont think they have changed that much maybe a better style or little bit extra juce but for most stuff that wont matter.

Bought myself an INCRA TSLS fence system. Can't crow about it loud enough. No more measuring and bumping the fence. You want 4 & 15/16? Put the hairline cursor on the mark, lock it and cut. No test cuts, no measuring from the fence to the blade. It's almost like having the precision of a milling machine, except with a circular blade. I put this fence system on a crappy Craftsman contractor saw. It makes the saw look really good. One day, I'll buy a nice cabinet saw (maybe a Grizzly!) and the FIRST thing I'll do is remove the fence that is on it and put it on craig's list....yup, that also includes if I buy a used saw and it has a famous Biesemeyer Fence System. Check out Incra on YouTube...it works just like the guy "Mark" demonstrates. I'm not an INCRA employee....I'm an insurance guy, but I researched it for a while and now that I've bought it, I can say all of its claims are true. YouTube...

• Like 1

Can you give us a model number on the TS? If you truly have a 10 YO Grizzly cabinet saw, it's likely that you already have a G1023. If that's the case, the Shop Fox Classic is a direct OEM replacement fence for that saw, and costs ~ $280 shipped from Grizzly. ...it's a very nice fence. There's also an aftermarket riving knife called the BORK that fits the G1023.

If it's not a true cabinet saw, and is an early hybrid or contractor saw, a fence like the Delta T2 is a prudent choice IMO...~ $150 from Tools-plus.com.

Can you give us a model number on the TS? If you truly have a 10 YO Grizzly cabinet saw, it's likely that you already have a G1023. If that's the case, the Shop Fox Classic is a direct OEM replacement fence for that saw, and costs ~ $280 shipped from Grizzly. ...it's a very nice fence. There's also an aftermarket riving knife called the BORK that fits the G1023.

If it's not a true cabinet saw, and is an early hybrid or contractor saw, a fence like the Delta T2 is a prudent choice IMO...~ $150 from Tools-plus.com.

It is in fact a G1023 from 1998. I'm going to watch the classifieds for a few more weeks for used Tablesaws with good fence. If nothing comes up, I think the Shop Fox Classic is in my future. I'll look up the Bork too. Thanks for the help.