Power for power tools

jtooley75

I was wanting to buy one of those industrial power strips that are around 6 feet in length and attach it to my garage wall so that a TS, Bandsaw, and miter saw can all reach and be plugged into it. Each machine will only be used one at a time. Is it ok to have a setup like this on one circuit? No machine requires 220v.

Ultimately the circuit is limited by the breaker in the panel. Usually those strips have local reset buttons set to the circuit capacity. For example, a 110V strip will have a 15A reset; it's difficult to find, but there are some with 20A resets.

The wiring internally is all rated for 15A. What is usually bad about those strips is the reset: usually it isn't a slow-trip. Most of the tools you're naming will surge then operate at or below 15A. On a fast-trip, it'll reset on startup (about guarantee with a bandsaw) whereas a slow-trip (sometimes called "tool breaker") allows a brief surge before regulating.

I have an 'industrial' power strip; it was regrettably a recommissioned office strip given an industrial look. A sander can trip it sometimes.

I actually have a harbor freight 4' long power strip. It, too, has a reset, but the case opens easily with a Philips screw driver. Opened it and soldered a piece of 12ga wire around the reset taking it out of circuit. Works great.

Manufacturers caution about using a long extension cord with a "surge protector" power strip. Not being an electrician, I can't state what the exact issue is. However, I have been careful about using my little 4 outlet power strip (from Harbor Freight, but without any modifications) and my 25 foot extension cord.

Like you, I only use one tool at a time in it. It's dedicated to the lathe, drill press, and "grinder." (really just a motor with a pulley, leading to where the arbor will finally go, where the grinding wheels will be mounted. It's an upcoming project.... like the other 400.) And I haven't had any problems.

When I have used it for other tools, like the sanders (regular quarter sheet palm sander and ROS), I've unplugged the other tools. Partly because of fears of tripping circuitry, and partly because I need it to be mobile, and when the power strip is attached to the mounting screws, it's not mobile. (those screws were put there because the lathe does cause some vibration on the table. Loose and unstable elements tend to wander off when I'm turning. Fortunately, someone keeps redirecting me back to the lathe.)

As far as the power strips and surge protectors. When you are using larger motors and such, the starting current can get pretty high, as you've probably guess if you have ever seen the lights dim. When you add in extension chords of poorer quality and gauge of wire, and especially power bars, you could be significantly increasing the in-line resistance to the machine. Yeah, maybe still in the m-ohm, but you can get close to an ohm. At 15-20A, or more, that's up to a 20V drop, or more if you get into a multi ohm resistance.

This condition will cause the motor to take longer to start up; which will cause the higher current condition to last longer, which will cause the motor windings to heat up more, as well as the wires goign to it. Which of course will reduce lifespan of all the parts and pieces in there.

<sorry for the run on thought>

As far as surge protectors, I guess it might be possible for back EMF from a coil or such could cause a cheap one to trip?

As a general rule, my shop has 12 gauge wire going to all the plugs (except lights), and my day to day extension chords are good quality 12 gauge as well.

I was wanting to buy one of those industrial power strips that are around 6 feet in length and attach it to my garage wall so that a TS, Bandsaw, and miter saw can all reach and be plugged into it. Each machine will only be used one at a time. Is it ok to have a setup like this on one circuit? No machine requires 220v.

My wife had this sort of thing on the wall in her office. The fire inspector made her remove it and all the power strips with more than two outlets. She had to install surface outlets on the wall in conduit in order to pass the inspection, must be a reason for it.

Don

• 1 month later...

==> long extension cord with a "surge protector" power strip

simplified (and therefore a bit wrong):

resistance loss is a function of condustor's cross section (wire guage) x length of cord.

longer cords present more resistance (sucking through a long straw -v- short one). More resistance OR trying to suck more juice for the same resistance = more heat. Too much heat = fire.

There is another issue: voltage loss as cord gets longer can damage eqpt. For example, 120 at the outlet drops as the cord gets longer (motor sees only 110). Too much voltage drop (too long a cord) can damage a motor. Most motors can withstand 5 to 10% drop.