Double Pedastal Dining Table

simeond

With the help from the good folks on this forum (see threads here on structural design and here on finishing), my double pedastal dining table is done and delivered today. The top is figured ribbon mahogany with a border of crotch mahogany inlaid into peruvian walnut. The pedastals are peruvian walnut.

It is finished with pre-cat lacquer.

This one pushed me to the limit... I love this stuff! No holds barred on critique. Thanks again all.

post-4989-0-57483100-1319429629_thumb.jp

post-4989-0-93012900-1319429641_thumb.jp

post-4989-0-51091400-1319429652_thumb.jp

I forgot to get a photo with the leaf in. You can see the leaf in one of the photos in the background. Its 3' and fairly heavy, but nothing a single person can't put in. The table is 7' closed and 10' open.

ooooo two pedestals i bet you feel special what would be more impressive is if you made one without a pedestal at all. just kidding wow it look impressive is it a veneer or solid wood? and the legs are really nice looking i would hate to eat off of it far two pretty.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike-

The pedestals are not connected to the apron (which is attached to the top and moves with the top). They are about 1/8" separated from the apron to make it appear it's all connected. Regarding knee space, this was a big issue for the customer - so we tested out a number of apron heights. This apron is 26.5" from the floor and set in from the table edge 5.25". There isn't an issue. But, yes, that was a concern we had tO work thru.

Darnell -

My original design was DEFINATELY tippy! I did a mock up and kept moving the legs out until I got a good stability. Thanks again for the help!

RoboDoc -

The mahogany is veneer over 1" core. Then there is a 2" solid border of peruvian walnut with 1.5" of crotch mahogany veneer inlayed into the walnut with a 1/4" reveal of the walnut on either side. The mahogany top is tongue and grooved with the solid walnut border.