I need a new dust collector - which one?

adambaum

All,

I currently have a Jet DC600 or DC650. Not sure of the model #, but I can tell you it's the small one. It has the standard bag that came with it and for lack of a better description, it doesn't suck enough. :D It can't deal with my planer and cabinet saw, among other issues. Also has issues grabbing the dust when I sand on a lathe (using a hood). SO I figure it's time to upgrade. My requirements are:

• Run on 220V
  • Disposable bags - I hate having to empty my DC..seems like I get more on me than what goes in the trash.
  • Not too tall - I work in my garage
  • Can be mobile - I work in my garage so it will be rolled around
  • Reasonable dimensions - again, I work in a garage and it will be mobile
  • Will not be ducted - I don't mind moving a hose from tool to tool.
  • Can handle a planar and cabinet saw
  • $1200 or less, includes tax and shipping to Arizona although I am willing to go a bit higher if it means a significant bump in quality and capability.

Recommendations? I see 2HP Grizzlys for under $500 so I know I should be able to find a good quality unit to fit my needs.

Adam

Bam! Comes with a remote and you could easily line the drum with a bag.

Being mobile, I like the fact that the sound level is only 74db. Almost hard to believe. You can check one review here. It was posted about 10 months ago. The same guy did a follow up review here about 8 months ago. I see Laguna also makes a 3HP version of this mobile DC as well. It's quite large. One guy on the Rockler website gave the 2HP unit a 1 star rating for instructions (click on the Review tab), but didn't return to comment on how the machine performed for him. I have to believe there must be a lower cost alternative to these Laguna DC's. Maybe not as quiet, but with hearing protection perhaps not an issue.

I've looked at the Laguna online today. Also checked out JDS, Grizzly, Jet, and Oneida. I don't necessarily need a cyclone given that I am a weekend woodworker (at best). We aren't talking heavy duty usage, but I do expect it to collect the bulk of the dust/chips and meet my listed requirements. Are cyclone units that much better at dust collection?

Adam.

If you want bang for your buck, and mobile, I would go for this... http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TEMP2PCX.html

I have the 2.5HP Tempest Cyclone and love it. Mine is a stationary unit. Works very well. PSI customer service is pretty good too. You could also make this unit stationary at some point as well. Would do a very good job. And yes, cyclones do a much better job of dust collection. This one also comes with a .5 micron filter. Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my latest issue of FW in the mail yesterday. One of the articles is on dust collection. The author makes a good case for going with a cyclone. Besides more airflow, the biggest reason is the filter. Many of the cyclones come with a HEPA or MERV 15 (or higher) rated filters. That's .5 micron or better. Standard filter on a single stage canister goes to about 2 micron. Grizzly and Oneida are going to manufacture upgraded canister filters though. Wonder what one of the upgraded canister filters on a Powermatic DC would be like? Cost of the two ($849 for DC and $300 for aftermarket filter) puts me nearly into an Oneida cyclone. Grizzly is under $1K already.