Granite table top for Table Saws

jtooley75

Can everyone who owns or knows someone that owns a granite table top TS tell me how they like it. I can understand the benefits, as far as a level surface and no rusting, but is it really delicate as far as chipping. Steel city's newest nnewsletter is promoting "Hardcore" granite now. Don't know how different it really is. I thought granite is granite. Are there different hardnesses?

I love mine, the ease of care is wonderful. I have had no issues with it being fragile, I did take a chip out of it about a dime round and 1/16 deep from the edge when mounting the extension wings, this was user error and I could fix it easily with epoxy if it bothered me. No issues at all from normal use, but I do not use my table saw as a bench at all even with a protective piece on top of it. I never used magnetic jigs so that hasnt been an issue. I had stamped steel wings on my previous saw so the granite wings are a huge upgrade from that for clamping. I had concerns on using feather boards in the miter slots as well but have not had an issue there either.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a steel city... the only thing bad I can say about it is that I can't use magnetic jigs. The miter slots are chipping a bit from the installation and removal of the miter fence, but not bad, I don't consider that to be a big deal.

I have 110V 1.75HP 54" cabinet saw, I own it, I am going to keep it, it works great, I would probably opt for a sawstop, powermatic, or unisaw if I was buying one now.

Edit: the industrial fence is excellent and the riving knife on it is fantastic... although it tends to want to lean if you're not careful.

I have one and really don't like it. The miter slots are off. Now before you say align the top, they are cut wrong. They are cut with a tapper. The front end is say .750 and the back are .700. (I don't have the numbers in front of me.) Anywho it makes using a miter sled a pain. If you are buying one from a store, measure it before you buy it. Other than that, it is a good saw.