Festool Sandpaper

blkdiamond

I recently purchased a Festool ETS 150/5 and went down to my local Woodcraft to pick up some sandpaper for it. I never thought I would become overwhelmed by trying to pick out sandpaper, but sadly I was.

I wanted to get the standard 80-120-220 grits for basic finish prep, and for some reason I felt that the three different grits should be the same abrasive type, which apparently is impossible. My thought was to get the 80 and 120 in Granat and then the 220 in Brilliant 2. What do you use for basic sanding?

Thanks.

Well keep in mind that I haven't yet worked the Granat line into my schedule, so there might be some changes in the future. But for now, I use Rubin 80, 120, 180, and 220. Most projects are only sanded to 180 but I like to have the 220 just in case I feel like going one more step. In the Brilliant line, I have 320 and 400 (I think). Can't recall the highest Brilliant grit. I use these for extra fine finish prep or sanding finishes. Then I stock up on the Plantin line 500, 1000, 2000, and 4000. All of these are for sanding and polishing finishes.

• Like 1

I use Rubin P80 and P120 then switch to Brilliant-2 for P180, P220, P320 and P400. The Brilliant-2 discs are softer than Rubin. I've played with Granat and like it. It is designed to not clog as easily as other papers. Certainly seems to work based on my last project with it. It also seems a little tougher than Rubin (which is much tougher than Brilliant-2). If I were buying new, I'd consider switching to Granat in place of the Rubin, but still like Brilliant-2 for the finer grits.

Thank you all for the responses. Onboard, the pdf you provided is perfect.

I used the ETS 150 today for the first time on a small cabinet I was working on and all I can say is WOW! This sander is so much more pleasant to use than my old 5" DeWalt ROS. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I like sanding now, but at least I don't feel like my arm is going to vibrate off when I am sanding.

I do about the same as Paul and have always been pleased. I am going to be at woodcraft tomorrow and plan on getting some Granat to try but I have about a full box of each grit on hand so I don't see myself switching anytime soon. I have to say that I love Festools sandpaper as it lasts a long time. After it starts to wear down to the point that I switch pads it still has a lot of life left for hand sanding. I am too cheap to buy Festools hand sanding block but a nice scrap of wood, some time shaping it to fit my mitt, and some adhesive backed velcro and I am a happy camper.