Another equpment question

COMO

I am slowly learning more and more about wood working and slowly growing my tool collection. How useful is a biscuit jointer. There is a guy in my area selling one fairly cheap. He is also selling some carpentry tools I am interested and I was thinking of making an offer on a bundle of tools. Just wondering if I should include the Biscuit jointer in the group. Thanks

What kind of woodworking are you planning on doing?

I mostly make cabinets, but I pretend to be a fine woodworker in my spare time, whenever I get a chance... he he...

Anyhow, I use my biscuit jointer a ton. I find it extremely useful for putting on face frames. But I imagine guys who make fine boxes and/or all greene and greene style fine furnature would probably scoff at a biscuit jointer.

I don't know what is "fairly cheap" nor do I know what brand. I started off a long time ago with just a cutter for my router table, then I "splurged" on a harbor freight biscuit jointer. But after using it and knowing how bad it sucked, I came across a nearly new PC for half price. I jumped at that. It's one tool that isn't all that expensive is really makes cabintry a breeze. I should have just bought a PC or DeWalt from the beginning.

When I first started, I thought you needed biscuits, but the more I do the less I use them. Most tight fitting joints in hardwood just don't need biscuits...for the rare occasions I think a biscuit is warranted (sheetgoods/plywood) I cut a slot with my router. I sold my DeWalt biscuit cutter 4 or 5 years ago and haven't missed it....it was a nice tool that I didn't need. If you don't already have a pocket hole jig, that's where I'd suggest sinking your money...I use it far more than I ever used a biscuit cutter.

I didn't use my biscuit jointer much when I first purchased it, but as time went by I used it more and more. It has it's place along side any other jointing tool. When I make cabinets I usually use glue and screws for the sides that won't be showing but on the sides that show it's much nicer to use a biscuit jointer, since the screws present a problem to cover up or plug and nails just aren't strong enough . I could use a pocket hole jig ,but then the pocket holes would show from the inside of the cabinet and that wouldn't look good or professional.I also use a good doweling jig . It's as strong as a mortise and tenon if done properly and with a quality jig,( dowel max in my case),and it's faster. So if it's a decent biscuit jointer and you can save some money over a new one then I'd pick it up. I believe the best two values in the BJ market today are still the Dewalt and Porter Cable.